Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed KB3068708 by accident - now have a huge CB log

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

I've just come out of a grim period due to blasted KB3022345 and thanks to help from dc3 - see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578361/major-shut-down-problems/page-2

There had been an earlier warning that Microsoft could be hiding yet another revision of it (5th or 6th?) under KB3068708 and I was advised not to install it, but wait a few days and then check here for any bad news (sound advice, especially if you've been nobbled by KB3022345).

Many months ago I changed my settings so that updates would not be automatically - well I thought that I had. But I hadn't - I should have chosen "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

Instead I'd selected "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" and the result when I shut down last night was the message "downloading1 of 9 updates - do not switch off" - I couldn't do anything to stop the updates being installed and I'm horrified that the option I'd chosen gave me no choice at all - there was no shield icon "updates are available" - they just installed presumably as part of the powering down process.

I've now got the "check for but let me choose" option in place but having seen that KB3068708 had been installed I ran sfc /scannow and the CBS log is again a huge one, 248 MB. Does the sheer size of it suggest problems (I haven't noticed any yet)?

I've put a link on the other thread so that dc3 knows what's happened.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Two signs of a problem or just a co-incidence (in which case what should I do?)?

(1) Word & Excel documents are now taking up around ten/fifteen seconds to open.

(2) When I switch off I get the message "The following programs are still running - end or force closure" or words to that effect - but there are no open programs displayed.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

Run the sfc /scannow to see if this update is found to be problematic.

It looks like Microsoft renumbered the KB3022345 and re-released it.

Edited by dc3, 10 June 2015 - 09:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 glnz

glnz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

#5 Taffy_078

Taffy_078
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

just catching up after holidays - thanks ginz, and dc3. Your help is much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users