Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Looping, Getting Nowhere

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joselyn9595

joselyn9595

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

I have a compaq presario 700us laptop. I needed more ram. I went to a web site that said my maximum ram was 640. so i called office depot to compare prices. they said according to pny.com my max ram is 384. I cant remember exactly but somewhere around there. but the highest they make is 256.

so i went back to the other web site, found a tech ph # and asked them to explain how they figure my max ram could be 640. they said they tested and tested the same pc as mine and 640 worked great. but the biggest they made was 512. fine, i bought it. i put it in. worked great for days.

Then I decided to go high speed. aol with roadrunner light. downloaded aol 9.0 with all it comes with. got started and then things started hanging up. then got an error message. some file missing. my laptop is at home right now but if someone can help me i can write back and get the error message. basically, it brings up a black screen with lots of writing on it giving me the choice to start up0 in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last good known config... i clicked on every single one, it reverts right back to the same screen. i would reboot, try again, take the battery out, unplug, plug back in, reboot, same thing, like it wont go any further.

so I got out the 3 disc set of quick restore. inserted disc 1, said i would lose everything, fine i said okay, brought up another screen, are you sure, press 1 and enter. i did, brought up the first page again asking me if i was sure i wanted to lose everything, like it was also on a loop, would go any further. what could it be??? before i installed aol 9.0 it worked fine, even with the new ram. could be coincidence tho.

a day before i installed aol 9.0 i did hear a wierd scratching sound coming from within my laptop, not the normal kind of scratching sound, this was sharper and louder. so I rebooted and it went away. any advice???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

According to the site that computer came with 256Mb of RAM. It also staes you can only upgrade to 384Mb.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...cname=c00009633
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 joselyn9595

joselyn9595
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

so is it fried or not? i thoght that might be the problem so I put the original memory back in and it was exactly the same. still messed up. nothing different.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

Watch your computer when it boots up and check the ram test it does during boot up. This is just at the beginning of the boot process and write down the amount it shows. Do this with all of the Ram you had when it worked. I think it is the AOL that done this but have to check the ram first.

#5 joselyn9595

joselyn9595
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

I agree, it worked just fine before the aol. problem is that when i get aol on the line, they always want to blame it on a virus.

okay, so when i first turn on the computer it brings up the compaq sign and then it goes straight to a black screen with white writing and thats the screen that asks me if i want to rebott in safe mode, last known good config...etc, then when i click either of the 4 options it starts the windows xp screen like its loading up then it goes black briefly and the red compaq sign pops up, and then it goes back to the black screen/white writing...at what point do i see the ram test? thank you so much for your help.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

Try "Last Known good configuration" at the Boot Menu. This may bring you to before AOL install.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 joselyn9595

joselyn9595
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

i tried that 15 times last night, i tried every option, it brings me back to the same screen. I tried taking out the battery, unplugging, plugging back in without battery, etc..im lost.

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

Hm, it maybe a virus... K have you tried putting in a restore disk and starting your computer in dos? After you do this you type in chkdsk, thils will tell you if it's a hardrive error or not. If it is a virus, I'm thinking you should be able to run a virus scan in dos so long as you have a cd... if you can't get into dos though, i'll think of something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users