Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network problems after installing windows 8.1 Alienware M17X

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HenryBuyssie

HenryBuyssie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Hello, as you can see from the title I have problems with my network adapter driver (I think).
So here's what happens mostly: I connect with a network. It works fine for some time, but after a few minutes the yellow exclamation mark pops up and says I have limited acces! So then I can't do anything but reconnect and have internet again for a few minutes.
This is really annoying when I'm in the middle of something.
Does anyone have solutions or tips? I don't have any problem with ethernet connection.
Help would be really appreciated. Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Please follow the steps shown here. If that does not solve the problem Right Click the Wireless Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details Tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Edit: If you have not done so, I would not recommend the driver update yet. Only do the netsh commands

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#3 HenryBuyssie

HenryBuyssie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thank you, I'll try that and let you know the results.

#4 HenryBuyssie

HenryBuyssie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Please follow the steps shown here. If that does not solve the problem Right Click the Wireless Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details Tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Edit: If you have not done so, I would not recommend the driver update yet. Only do the netsh commands

Nope still nothing...

Here is the hardware id: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0030&SUBSYS_20011A56&REV_01

Edit: Oh I've already done the thing with the manufacturer driver ..

Edited by HenryBuyssie, 10 June 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

Reinstall this driver.

#6 HenryBuyssie

HenryBuyssie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

already did a lot of times ... and when I do it gets installed, I need to restart my computer a few times, and eventually it says that the N1103 is installed ...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

The chipset is an Atheros 1102 - 1103 per PCIdatabase.com and is not that common. I usually find a better driver on the Atheros.cz site but the chipset is not even referenced there and I would not want to try a driver from some other site for this chipset.

I don't know what else to do except try the network utility here and select Advanced Repair.

If that doesn't work hopefully somebody else can give their thoughts. Windows 8.1 is know to have wireless issues.

You could try one of these. They are not too expensive and should work on 8.1. Their support page shows the adapter is 8.1 compatible.

#8 HenryBuyssie

HenryBuyssie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

Okay no problem, thanks for the help, really appreciated!

I'll try the repair and if that doesn't work I'll think about buying the adapter you recommended... Thanks again!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

No problem. If you do decide to purchase the USB adapter please post back on how it worked for you. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users