Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi system icon not showing up in system tray.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaperV

PaperV

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:42 AM

Ok, Thank you guys in advanced before I start.

So for some odd reason today on one of my laptops my wifi seems to not be working. Usually I like to go and look at my wifi signal to see what Im connected to as soon as I boot m computer. Well this time I started it up and the wifi system icon will not show up. Of course I go to customize to see if its disabled and if I can enable it. Well the option doesn't even show up. I restarted the computer and even used system restore nothing seems to work. I ran a wireless network troubleshoot and it says the problem cant be resolved. Im on one of my other laptops because I cant access the internet on the laptop.

So can anyone help me at all? Im new to this forum I think but I do have FRST so if anybody has an idea please let me know. I will provide all the information I can if you tell me what i need to get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,385 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

Have you checked Device Manager?  Are there any problems noted with the wifi connection there?

Have you tried:

- downloading a fresh copy of the wifi driver from the manufacturer's website

- uninstalling the current wifi software/drivers

- installing the freshly downloaded drivers?

Have you tried to reset tcp, ip, and winsock?

From an elevated Command Prompt run (and press Enter after each command.  Reboot when done):

netsh int tcp reset

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

Edited by usasma, 10 June 2015 - 07:10 AM.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PaperV

PaperV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

Nope I havent went into that much detail, but I will once I do I will get back with you.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 24,385 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Not a problem, I'll get an email when you next reply back.

Good luck!

**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)

#5 PaperV

PaperV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Computers can be wierd sometimes. So before I made this post i restarted the computer like 4 times and rest the adapter 3 times. So when that didnt work I came here. So of course after I go back to my laptop and cut it on it works like there was nothing ever wrong. So for now the problem is fixed. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 24,385 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:54 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success."

Good luck!

#7 PaperV

PaperV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

OK so I actually figured out the real issue. I have the laptop in a small house right. Usually the WiFi picks up everywhere even at the edge of my lawn. For some reason this laptop won't pick up signal more than about 20 feet away which is a guesstimate from the router to my room. When I leave my room to go closer it only picks up about two bars and then still doesn't work. How is that possible when just the other day it was working fine?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 24,385 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Loose connection inside the laptop?

Conflicting services/programs that weren't running before, but are now?

Black magic?

Seriously, the first step is to reset the components that you know about in order to troubleshoot it.

Run the commands I suggested earlier.

Install a fresh copy of the latest drivers. 

Look at the system to see if there's anything running that might be causing problems.

So we can help out, please submit the following:

- Even though you're not reporting BSOD's please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

- Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users