Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to set up a new connection to the internet on a 2nd hand PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bingsa

bingsa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:39 AM

I couldn't fit my whole question in the title but my problem is this. I was recently given a tower by a friend who bought a better one. I had internet set up on my old comp(XP) and he had it set up on his(Vista). I connected(physically) my modem to this tower and I'm able to connect to the internet without creating a new connection. Is this ok or is he going to get my bills or am I somehow getting his internet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:05 AM

The tower needs to be connected to a router since a modem would accommodate one computer by a wired connection. A router can share most commonly 4 ports by LAN and by the wireless if needed. The existing modem can connect to an extended access point or by purchasing another router. Most ISPs today installs to their subscribers a modem and router in one already.

Tekken

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

If you are saying ? you now have his old computer and you somehow think his connection setup would be compromised = NO.

Once a Modem is setup and configured , it is more or less plug and play through an Ethernet cable from the Router.

Wireless is not , so you would have to first enter passkey.

Remember you are using your Internet from your ISP Provider to your access point.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

Once the computer is connected to your modem or network he no longer has access to anything on that computer.

You are using YOUR internet, not his.

I do have a suggestion since this is a computer previously used by someone else: a clean reinstall of the operating system if you have not already done that. This will get rid of everything related to the previous owner and the programs he installed.

Start with a clean slate so you can make it your own.

The computer *should* have recovery partition if it did not get deleted by your friend. If you need help finding it please post the manufacturer/model of the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users