Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer acting odd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hi All.

Computer has been working great for quite a while, no problems, recently it has been acting strange, well, since I added last updates. I have a Samsung laptop with windows 7. I use Norton Internet Security, and Super Anti Spyware, which was mentioned here.

Jim Moulton

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hi All.

Computer has been working great for quite a while, no problems, recently it has been acting strange, well, since I added last updates. I have a Samsung laptop with windows 7. I use Norton Internet Security, and Super Anti Spyware, which was mentioned here.

Jim Moulton

So...  what does "acting strange" mean?  Need more of an explanation as to what activity you have noticed to be anomalous compared to previous activity...  What issues are you experiencing?

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#3 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

Sorry, slow, picking up a lot of stuff on SAS, should I stick with Windows 7 or go to Windows 10?

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Well, since Windows 10 is still a technical preview, I suggest you to stay on your current Windows version for now. It'll be released officially on July 29th, and then you'll be able to upgrade for free to it (since you have Windows 7). What kind of stuff is picked up on SAS? If it's only cookies, it doesn't matter. If it's something else, it might. Can you post the log?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

only cookies, Norton will pick up a "Trojan horse", SAS doesn't seem to do much. I appreciate your help,,,,,  ,anything else I can do for

YOU?

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

You could start by posting the various logs of SAS and Norton, that would give us a start :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

...Norton will pick up a "Trojan horse"...

It would be helpful if you can advise the specific file(s) name associated with this threat and where it is located (full file path) on your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hi Quietman,

I got some windows updates, that seemed to fix problems, I was having. I found out tonight that Norton does not keep it's records, WOULD HAVE TO MAKE it's copies onto my own files to share with you, and the info is so generic, it just says "Trojan horse" , AND I have not figured out how to find SAS share it's security. Sorry  about caps, but wanted to get back to you.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware logs are located at C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SUPERAntiSpyware\Logs, and Norton logs are at C:\Program Data\Norton\<random string>\Norton_Version_Number\Logs. Can you take a look in these folders and see if you find anything?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users