Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mirror transfer, will programs still work on new harddrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JUSTCURIOUS4U2

JUSTCURIOUS4U2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

transferring a mirror image of old win 7 laptop to a new really fast win 7 laptop - question is: will all the programs work without reloading programs (mirror image)... this will have a new harddrive (the harddrive is failing)... a couple of the programs are from friends or no longer available and I don't want to lose access ? any ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

There's no certainty that an installation will work in a different computer. Windows is set up according to the hardware in the original system. There is also the question of license and activation, if the original installation is OEM Windows the license is only valid for the original computer, changing major hardware usually requires re-activation and it will no longer be a legitimate Windows install. This licensing problem does not apply if the Windows is a full consumer version (boxed or download purchase), but can still be expected to need re-activation.

Edited by Platypus, 09 June 2015 - 10:22 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JUSTCURIOUS4U2

JUSTCURIOUS4U2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

Just as I would have assumed - so! for the older programs with no upgrades, we must maintain an older machine just for access... and my harddrive is going bad... thanks, worth even trying ? I think I will... and post more details if it works...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:05 PM

If you're using a clone of the original drive, you can try and see if it works. It's best not to risk it with the original drive, as Windows adjusts things on-the-fly at boot, and if it doesn't work, it also may not work back in the old system either, as the installation can become corrupted (neither one thing nor the other).

If a hard drive is becoming suspect (and even prior just for safety) it's a very good idea to create a backup image of the drive.

Edited by Platypus, 09 June 2015 - 11:06 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users