Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for the best security for my computer

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 anticipater

anticipater

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:26 PM

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials and I am looking for suggestions and I am not against to anything that id free

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 June 2015 - 07:48 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

The best antivirus is $3.45 from Home Depot.  It's a bag of cement :0)

Additional protection is availalable for free if you drop the cement encased computer into a deep body of water.  :0)

Seriously, the most important antivirus is between your ears.  Think before clicking and check (the link) before clicking.
I've used little or no antivirus for years and have only had a 3 pieces of malware on my system (and only 1 of them resulted in an infection).

OK, enough of the speechifying.

Here's a link to several review organizations that I respect:

http://www.av-test.org/en/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Hi there,

The best prevention against malware is safe computing practices - if you are not careful then no software in the world will be able to save you from infections. Please read these guides to security by Bleeping Computer staff:

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

As for which one to use... it mainly boils down to what you like, since no antivirus is 100% perfect. Other factors like speed, resource consumption, user interface, functionalities etc. also factors into choosing an antivirus.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Edited by Alexstrasza, 10 June 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hi anticipater :)

Is it possible for you to give us your computer specs? Tell us what you mostly do on your computer? Also, I understand that you are looking for either a free or paid Antivirus solution? But what about an Antimalware?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 justinkemp99

justinkemp99

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

I personally prefer AVG - http://www.avg.com/

Avira www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus ,

Immunet http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html or

Avast https://www.avast.com/  and found these best securities for my PC. More suggestions you can find here:  http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfreebies/tp/best-free-antivirus.htm   

Edited by justinkemp99, 03 July 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

I never heard of around 6-7 Antivirus in the link you provided justin, and some of them are even outdated so I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to what is recommended in it personally.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

There's no best AV in the market, all of them have advantages and disadvantages, so pretty much choose the one you like and trust the most. I would stay away from Norton and McAfee, because recently Norton drop their software to cloud base protection which receive 50% detections ratio as a result, and McAfee let ransomware slip through user machine. Matter of fact, best security is user, computer can't infected automatically, if you practice safe on internet then pretty much you would not get your self infected. Also, if you are looking pay antivirus, i would recommend Bitdefender,Kaspersky,Emsisoft,or ESET, these AV vendors are most commonly well known and they been tested by AV Compartive and AV Test. As for free AV, i would say Avast, although Avast do offer great protections for free home user, but their zero day component seems to lack behind. Also, throw in Malwarebytes Anti Malware as on demand scan then you are pretty much up to go. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 03 July 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc.... About.com is not one of them. However, they are all legitimate even if some of them are not well known.

#10 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

All I can recommend is what I use, its simple, effective and has never let me down.

Emsisoft AntiMalware, Malwarebytes AntiExploit, Appguard and occasionally Malwarebytes AntiMalware.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

And you can't beat the support provided by Emsisoft and Malwarebytes Staff.

#12 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

And you can't beat the support provided by Emsisoft and Malwarebytes Staff.

Emsisoft Internet Security 10 is what i use as realtime AV plus Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free, the only downside of Emsisoft Internet Security is doesn't have any exploit protection which is suck. Other than that, it's best suite you can have for $50, and it have Bitdefender engine as well, so whatever Bitdefender miss, Emsisoft just detected it to fill that cap hole. Also, bleepingcomputer and malwarebytes forum definitely the best forum i have seen and use. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 03 July 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

We appreciate your thoughtful comments about the Bleeping Computer community.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

Pretty much every UNITE forums are helpful, ASAP forums as well :) But I think BleepingComputer is the largest active right now, with TechSupportForum and TechSupportGuy.

unite_blue.png

#15 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

Pretty much every UNITE forums are helpful, ASAP forums as well :) But I think BleepingComputer is the largest active right now, with TechSupportForum and TechSupportGuy.

Ofcourse, Bleepingcomputer forum discuss every things and a lot of users online compare to Emsisoft or Malwarebytes forum, but still great community forum. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users