Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird things happen... with my desktop.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jjj333

jjj333

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

I adjusted my Rar archive to extract to Desktop (C:\Users\jjj\Desktop)  - Yet, when I unrar an archive the files or folders appear not on the desktop, but in 2 different places.... (See Pic below). That means, there must be something "gone bananas" with the desktop.ini or me? How to get this back to normal?

You wonderful experts surely know what's going on and how to cure it. - I thank you in advance for your kind help!

Warm Regards,

from young pensioner (74) Johannes, down-under in wintry St'g de Chile        :whistle:

Attached Files

• Attached File  99.JPG   45.25KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:54 PM

Until someone better qualified gives an answer you require:

I have always created a New Folder as a temp or as i call it Unrared or Unzipped Folder.

Then when i unrar a specific file , i extract it to that created folder. { Or copy and Paste the rar to the Folder and then Extract Here }.

This way i am working with the contents of the rarfile in the new folder , and the original rar is where it was stored.

Once i have used the contents for whatever , i then delete the created folder contents , knowing that the original rar is still intact.

I found working on PCs and laptops to many people extract different rars to the same destination and when this envolves programs can become messy and confusing or corrupt.

Hope this helps to some degree , others may have a different view.

Edited by Havachat, 09 June 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#3 jjj333

jjj333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for your good advice. Yes, I did that, too. This way the Rar tool extract the its content within this dedicated folder. Yet, I'm afraid that the problems with the desktop.ini might not end there. It's a difficult issue to search for on the internet, because I'm not knowing the true cause of it. I tried various repair tools, but the problem remains...

I lately had problems with the "shortcut virus" (and maybe I removed too much?) which I resolved in this way: 

Firstly turn off wscript in task manager. Go to Folder Option > Show hidden files and Unhide all 3 Hide options. Check all drives, incl. drives of USB or storage devices. There you see your original files and hidden files with virus as vbs script file with a strange name. Delete these vbs script files on your drives.
If PC starts with "ShellClass", remove do the following:
Start > Search Desktop  > Desktop.ini and delete this file:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
Then restart PC...
======================================
Alternatively: In CMD paste (depend on drive letter) this: 

attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d C:*.*

attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d E:*.*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users