Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot fix Stuttering/Screen Tearing issue.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Like the title says, I have a bad stuttering or screen tearing issue, depending on vsync. I tear like mad with vsync off, even with my fps limited to 58 through nVidia Inspector. With vsync on, I get a very noticeable stutter, almost as if my computer freezes for a frame every second or so. I can handle it if there's really no other choice, but it's fairly annoying. Is there anything I can do?

I have a GTX 980 and my monitor is an Acer 60hz 1440p, connected with DisplayPort.

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2015 - 09:14 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?134554-to-vsync-or-not-to-vysync-that-is

Doesn't appear to be Win 7 issue, but a Steam/nVidia issue.  You might want to look at Other Links .

Louis

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

You do not provide us any information regarding your system specs your monitor model or if this is something that just started or has always been this way.

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

Louis, I appreciate the link, but I have issues with vsync both on and off. VSync causes an annoying stutter, which ultimately is more tolerable than tearing, but still annoying.  The link you provided doesn't seem to provide any insight. I've looked into a lot of different things, G-Sync for one, to prevent stuttering but it didn't have any noticeable effect.

Yeah - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009626 that's my monitor. I noticed the stutter with a 680, but the screen tearing didn't start until I had a 980, at least, from what I noticed.

Off the top of my head, I have 16GB DDR3 ram, and I think an i5 2570k (That's a guess, I'm not at my home computer currently)

The main reason I'm confused is that I get screen tearing when my fps is limited to 58, and I don't understand how that's possible. I know that vsync tends to stutter as when your fps goes to 59, vsync drops it to 30, from what I've read.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Well it sounds like your an excellent candidate for G-sync.

The tearing happens when your video card is capable of outputting display faster than your monitor can draw it

Screen stutter happens when your monitors refresh rate and your video card's output are not .. in sync ..

#6 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

G-sync doesn't seem to do a thing when I turn it on. And I know the cause of V-Sync, when you're outputting frames faster than your monitor can display them, they get messed up and "torn" but I'm limiting frames to below my monitor's refresh rate and it's still tearing.

I'll toy with it a bit tonight when I get home from work and see if I can't get G-sync to actually do something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users