Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crashed email and address book contacts.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 svenblom

svenblom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

My hard drive crashed and I have lost a bunch of email and address book contacts that were not backed up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Quad-core machine with 8G of RAM. I am running Microsoft Office 2003 and I need to retrieve my email and contacts from Outlook. My hard drive is not completely dead. I can try to boot from it, however, it immediately goes into Repair System mode. I have tried numerous times to do a System Restore, but it never succeeds. I continually get the message that "Windows cannot repair this disk automatically". I have tried to boot from the DVD and repair the damaged files, but it just goes into the same Repair System mode, and I get the same message. I also received the following- Problem Signature: Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385 " 02: 6.1.7600.16385 " 03: unknown " 04: 21200766 " 05: AutoFailover " 06: 25 " 07: NoBootFailure OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 I also ran chkdsk /R from the command prompt, but it did not fix any boot problems. I can, however, connect the hard drive as a second drive in the unit (after installing Windows 7 Ultimate on another hard drive) and connect to it and read the data on the drive. I have been able to retrieve all of my data (files, pictures, music, videos, etc.) except for the Outlook data. When I click on Outlook on the damaged drive, I get a message about installing the program. Of course, the program is already installed- I just want to access it and retrieve data. How can I retrieve my emails and contact information from Outlook? Is there a way to repair the boot files (boot.ini) or Registry to enalbe the hard drive to boot up Windows? I am very appreciative of any help I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

Hello,

I would suggest using a live Linux disk to copy the files containing your Outlook contacts (they are usually .pst files) to a flash drive, then reimport it into Outlook on a healthy machine.

Here is how to import contacts into Outlook using .pst files.

Hope this helps :)

#3 kaistoltenberg

kaistoltenberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

You pst file, containing your emails and contacts, will be found at: 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Enable "Show hidden files" to see it. If Windows will not repair the installation you can reinstall Windows 7, selecting Upgrade as the option. This would preserve your installed programs, data and settings, but you would need to reinstall all updates. This assumes your drive and system are good and not infected. Read more information here http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/how-to-restore-oe-address-book-after-crash-1/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users