Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I go about upgrading my PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luckyseth

luckyseth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

I'm not really superb at computers so I used  a guide I found on youtube: I followed the build pretty much spot on and built my computer about a year and a half ago. I used the R7 260x instead of the Nvidia card though. I was wondering if someone could give me some what to upgrade and in what order. I wanted to take it kinda slow. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

Very few people are going to sit though a six minute video.

Go to [url=http://www.piriform.com/speccy]Piriform's website[/url], and click the big download.png button.
[LIST]
[*]Click [b]Download from Piriform.com[/b] (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.[/*]
[*]You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.[/*]
[/list]After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):[/b][/color]

[img=http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/221/speccyq.png]
[LIST]
[*]Now, at the top, click [b]File [/b]> [b]Publish Snapshot[/b][/*]
[/list][color=blue]You will see the following prompt:

publish.png

• Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

[b]Congrats! You have just posted your specs!
:)

#3 luckyseth

luckyseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gmX6odK4T3uhUmzuGDPKIas

Sorry I didn't intend to have anyone watch the video. I just forgot to say that everything was in the description, but here's specs anyways. :)

[EDIT] Oh yeah and the case it's in is a Rosewill Line-M

Edited by luckyseth, 10 June 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Okay Seth, a few more questions.

What is your power supply?

What is your budget for this project?

What do you want to accomplish?

#5 luckyseth

luckyseth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

1. My power supply is a 430W Corsair CX430.

2. Upper limit is $500 for now.

3. I would like advice on what to upgrade, so that my computer will stay competent at running modern video games. I don't know what I should upgrade first.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

I'd say upgrade the power supply to 550 - 600 watts, should cost around $100 and put the other $400 towards a video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users