Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newly built computer start up issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hawkseye472

hawkseye472

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I just built my first computer and everything seemed to be going well up until this point. I got everything connected and it seemed to power up correctly the first time. I then proceeded to start my insallation of windows, which it finished and got booted up successfully. When I restated from here on out I have been getting a start up issue. The system seem to freeze then restart when I try to boot up windows. I did notice at the moment it frooze my cpu fan and one of my case fans with and led connected to the motherboard stop for a split second almost like a power flash. However my other fans with Leds that are connected to the motherboard stay on the whole time. The system doesnt have any problem when I boot to the BIOS it only seems to happen when I try to boot windows. I tried unplugging all the connections and reconnecting thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere but no such luck. I took a rough video of what it does if that helps my explaination.

http://www.4shared.com/video/ML2umTG-ba/IMG_0850.html

my parts are:
mb:gigabyte 970a-ud3p
cpu:amd fx6300
psu:corsair cx600m
gpu:sapphire duel-x r9 270
mem:hyperx fury 8gb ddr3 1866 (x2)
hdd:seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
case: cooler master elite 431 plus

Edited by hawkseye472, 09 June 2015 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

It appears that the power supply is the culprit.  However, many faults can appear to be caused by the PS and are only evident by the drops in power.  I suspect that you have a standoff post in the wrong place or is too close to a trace on the MOBO and shorts out when things warm up.

#3 hawkseye472

hawkseye472
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

I have tried a boot with all the components including the MOBO outside of the case and still recieve the same issue. I do notice that the leds in the fan the flickers, that just before it does they dim suggesting power reduction. I am leaning more and more towards the psu now, but I dont know how to know it is the problem with buying another psu that can supply more power.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

In the video it looks like windows is locking up (the circular startup balls stop spinning) and your system just eventually restarts due to some error in the Operating system.  Can the computer start up in safe mode?  Since this is a new build- was the hard drive new when you put it in or is it used?

#5 hawkseye472

hawkseye472
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

i was not able to boot into safe mode it would lock up and restart aswell, I bought the hdd brand new.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Try putting in the system disk and running a repair install.  Is this windows 8? Steps below taken from Microsoft :

Method 1: Perform an Automatic repair.

The Automatic repair can detect and fix the issues that prevent the computer from starting normally. You will need the Windows 8 installation disc to perform an Automatic repair. If you don’t have a Windows 8 disc, I would suggest you to download the Windows 8 installation files from another computer through this link and choose to create an installation media when the upgrade assistant prompts.

After you have a Windows 8 installation disc, follow these steps:

a) When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually beF12.
B) The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
c) Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing theBoot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.
d) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or SystemRepair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
e) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
f) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
g) Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click startup repair.

If you are still unable to boot you can perform system refresh

Method 2: Perform System Restore or Refresh.

Follow the steps given in the method 1, in the step g) select Troubleshooting, advanced option and then System Restore.

#7 hawkseye472

hawkseye472
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

I ended up taking it in to a shop and when they ran a diognastic they discovered that both of my memery sticks were defective and when different sticks were installed it booted up perfectly. Thanks anyone who tried to help me I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users