Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cant Install Adobe Flash Player 9

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hi, I hope you can help me as this is doing my head in now.

I am having difficulty installing Adobe Flash Player 9. I click install when the box appears but nothing happens and the box simply vanishes. I have done everything that Adobe suggested on their website suggested but it still wont work. Now many of the websites I use won't work properly

Any ideas as to what I can do will be really appreciated

Many Thanks

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

To try to fix this we are going to have to get some more info, we need system spec's like processor, speed, ram, hard drive and capacity and free space, actually all you can give us. And any error message that you get. Also where did you download the Adobe Flash Player 9 from like the link for it?

Also I would like you to run the following:

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

Have you tried the customer support?

Click here

#4 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

I have just put the phone down to them. There is obviously something up with IE, they believe it may be service pack 2. I downloaded Firefox and installed it perfectly well with this browser ,so thanks for your help.

#5 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I just to get back to you as the problem is sort of still there.

I got rid of Firefox after downloading flash player 9 as I was told I could by Adobe help desk but when I opened up IE, I could not look at flash sites so I had to install firefox again. As we use BT internet at home, flash is important and we really need it to work with IE.

So help still needed.

Cheers again

Woody

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Well I just downloaded Flash 9.0 and I have SP2 and IE7 and Firefox and it works just fine. I was wondering if you could answer my questions in post # 2? And also perform the query about HijackThis also.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

I don't understand this at all.
Someone else has had problems installing Flash too.
I have tried to help them with no luck so far.
Try this page--

http://www.tombraider.com/main.html

It has a BIG Flash.
You can't miss it.
Hover the cursor on it & see if a popup appears saying something similar to,"Click here to activate and use this control".

My Flash 9 installed & works good.
I got mine simply by going to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and right clicking on Shockwave Flash Object and choosing Update from the right click menu.

The same method also works for the Shockwave ActiveX Control which will update Shockwave.

Even when I originally got Flash from the Macromedia site before it became Adobe,It installed & worked nicely.
I have also gotten it from FileHippo too.
That worked good too.

This quote is about security settings from the Adobe site-

"Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

Although your browser security settings should be chosen by you or your system Administrator, the 'Medium: Default Level' will allow you to view Macromedia Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled. (Enable or Prompt will work).

To view your Security Level do the following:

Open Internet Explorer.
Choose Tools then Internet Options.
Select the Security tab.
Choose Internet.
Ensure that "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled."

If these conditions are met,Flash sholud install & work.
Unless there is a virus or something else stopping it.
What that something else would be,I don't know.

Edited by medab1, 07 July 2006 - 03:22 PM.

#8 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

Yes, sorry I forgot to include the info you required.

The HijackThis Log has been posted in the area you gave me. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html)

I use a Toshib Tecra A2, Windows XP Professional. I have a 80gb hard drive with 51.2gb free space and 512 ram. The version of IE is 6.0.2900. I tried installing Flash Player 9 from Aodbe's official site and got as far as getting the install button up and that is. Nothing happened after that.

Thanks again for your help.

Woody

#9 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

It does work on the Tomb Raider site listed above so I take it it is fine now. Would you try http://www.myfirstday.co.uk/ and see what you get because I still get the message saying you flash player needs updating so I am a little confused.

Cheers again

#10 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

It does work on the Tomb Raider site listed above so I take it it is fine now. Would you try http://www.myfirstday.co.uk/ and see what you get because I still get the message saying you flash player needs updating so I am a little confused.

Cheers again

It worked for me at the site.

Close all instances of IE.
Close all windows that is and open IE fresh & see if you still get the same message.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

For what it is worth, I just viewed both sites mentioned--Tomb and First Day-- with firefox browser. Tomb fired right up without enabling script (I use NoScript) First Day said I needed Flash and worked fine after I allowed scripts on that site. Based on that bit of info the problem might be the script settings that are blocking flash.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

Well I went looked and no can find the HJT log file. Sigh!

Try this

there is a security update for Adobe (Macromedia) Flash
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Have a good one hope it works

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:52 PM

Here are my internet zone security settings & I have no problems with Flash,Shockwave,or JAVA.

Security settings picture

#14 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

Well thats weird. I can view myfirstday.co.uk with firefox but not IE. I have ensured that the settings are correct in IE but still no luck. Why firefox and not IE? I can view Tomb Raider which looks to built completely with flash easily.

I have posted my HijackThis Log as suggested by nobdy has looked at it as yet and it is moving down the pages very quickly.

All your help as always has been really appreciated,

Cheers

Woody

#15 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hey Woodman You better hurry over there somebody has some work for you to do from your HJT log file.. Looks like you are going to have a good time. Let us know what happens.

Edited by ThorXP, 08 July 2006 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users