Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much will my old computer fetch?And suggestions on buying new computer..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kusai

Kusai

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

Current Computer specs - AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+,2.01GHz

1.00 GB of DDR2 RAM

Zotac Motherboard

Samsung DVD Writer

17" Samsung Monitor

IBall UPS

And then I want to buy a new decent computer which can play GTA5..What do you recommend?

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2015 - 06:35 AM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

Honestly for gaming I wouldn't pay anything for an AMD build.  A general rule of thumb is it is only worth about 1/2 of whatever you paid for it for every year past the date purchased (if everything was purchased top of the line).  So If I bought a computer today for 400.00 today that was top of the line then in two years it is only worth about 100.00. This number could be much different if you have sub par components.  The computer you list doesn't even have a video card and only 1gb of ram??  Let's be honest here, this computer isn't worth much more to anyone than a doorstop at a second hand store.

As far as new goes... we need more information... your budget... are you building it yourself.. Do you want to stay with AMD or go with Intel.. etc..

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

You're probably not going to be able to sell that computer.  With 1GB of RAM it won't support a modern operating system, your only options would be Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8 32-bit and then it would install but performance would be terrible.

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

hi Kilroy,

i had an amd athlon64 3200+ some time ago and as far i remember the ram was sdram ddr400 not ddr2 ram

i was really very happy with that pc !!!

i was using my amd athlon64 3200+ for music (multitrack recording and audio editing)

i could play some games as well like sim city, civilization, age of empires

unfortunately that pc was very slow on video edit, 3d rendering and that's why i have sold it two and half years ago for 200 euros !

it was a custom pc with selected parts

unfortunately today your pc have no any serious value (i am talking for the cyprus used pc market)

in cyprus your pc have a value of let's say 50-65 euros

you can buy a very good pc through ebay for as low as 69 euros plus shipping (fujitsu siemens esprimo p5720 - intel e7200)

#5 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

For a new machine that will run that and other modern games on medium-high settings expect to spend $650-$900

It's usually cheaper to build one yourself than to buy pre-built, but I wouldn't recommend it if this would be your first.

Here's an example of a console style gaming computer that should meet expectations: CyberPower SYBER VAPOR Gaming Console PC

There's also the Dell Alienware or XPS line of PCs, example: Dell Alienware X51 R2.

Basically you would be looking for something with a Core i5 (or fast current gen i3 with hyper threading) and nVidia GTX 750ti or better.

On the AMD side you could go with any of the AMD FX 4,6, or 8 core processors and the R9 270 or better for GPU.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

Kusai,

You would wait a long time to find an interested buyer & would not be able to ask much for it, @ all.  I recommend, remove all your personal stuff from it or better yet, put it back the Factory & give to someone as a 1st computer... a young person or someone who maybe can't afford to buy themselves a PC.

As for a new one for you... I'll recommend a brand (name) if we are talking laptops BUT, if a PC... either buy the components & DIY, if you are capable... otherwise, have a shop build you one.  Better than buying pre-loaded off-the-shelf machines.  Agood independent shop should sit down w/ you 7 determine the appropriate package for you specifically based on needs, usage et al.

Recommend Intel & Nvidia.  M/B Gigabyte or ASUS.  SSD for the OS & another drive, can be HDD, for Data.  Minimum 4GB RAM, you want, @ least that w/ a x64 platform.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#7 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thank You people for you suggestions... Highly Appreciated... :thumbup2:  and I forgot to mention that I also have a 500 GB HDD...

@ YeahBleeping Yeah, I will be building it myself and I'll go for Intel... and my budget won't be more than 400USD, the reason being I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in March on my Birthday, so won't be spending much and its needless to say the least...

And seems like my Old PC is worthless now huh,, Phew..

Edited by Kusai, 11 June 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#8 Blues4est

Blues4est

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

Yeah sorry there Kusai but that's what we get when we keep our systems so long. I'd say judging from Craigslist prices you might get $30-40 at best but that depends on who'd want it. Most on Craigs are looking for new-ish stuff. Don't know where you are so your market may find someone willing. Otherwise you could try listing the parts on eBay, etc. Longshot and not worth much plus you have to deal w/fees and postage. Worth the time?

I'd also opt for DIY, it's pretty easy as long as you spec out everything. I have seen some i5 systems on Craigs for $400 and I salivate. I'd slap more ram and a card in there if the PSU could handle it. 

A quick search leads me to believe an i5-2500 or old Phenom II X4 minimum and a GTX 750 or R7 260X min would do for your game. Also Win 7 64b or 8 64b, don't know why sites recommend 64b OS's for that.

You could get an old Phenom II X4 (or even X2 or X3 and unlock it) system for cheap and throw in a newer card but I'd really suggest you just svae up for modern hardware that'll last down the pike for the next latest and greatest games.

Good luck,

Blues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users