Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help! Noob here

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goncalo.stringfellow

goncalo.stringfellow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hi guys,

I am computer noob who is trying to buy a desktop computer which I mainly want for work but I also want to play games on it, like good games... you guys know what I mean (fallout 4, Gta 5 in that range) so I saw a computer being sold 2nd hand and I was wondering if this would do the job.

With this being said here are the specs:

Motherboard MSI P55-GD65, P55, Socket-1156, DDR3
4 DDRIII, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16, GbLan(Winki), OC

Processor Intel Core i5 Quad Processor i5-750

2,66GHz, Socket LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed
1.00 481123

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB CL9
Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, for I

HIS Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 (2gbs dedicated) & PCI-Express 2.0,"iCooler x4", DVI, native-HDMI, HD

Western Digital Caviar® Black 500GB x2

, Sata 3 Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223B

22x DVD, DVDRAM, SATA, Black, Bulk

Many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:02 AM

The short answer is probably not.  You're going to want 8GB of RAM and a better video card for the games you want to play.  For work it would be okay, but the RAM would still cause it to be less than perfect.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

Since you don't provide how much this computer is .. it is hard to tell you if it is good value for the price of upgrading the memory and video card.  You also may need a better power supply.  Fallout I am sure is going to need a very good graphics card even with a good graphics card fallout (the older ones) has some of the worst FPS i've ever seen in a game much like crysis.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 09 June 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#4 goncalo.stringfellow

goncalo.stringfellow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

First of all thanks for the replies.

The guy was selling it for about $500, but I was thinking about trading my ps4 only because I NEVER use it.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

Personally I think that is not a good deal.  You will 1. end up spending at least 275.00 more for a better video card and more memory.  A GTX 770 is about 200+ and you can find a GTX 960 for about the same price.  Although the video card in the rig isn't bad it only really matches the performance of a GTX 740 or 750TI (which isn't bad) but for the next gen games.... I dunno I guess it all depends on what your happy with.  2. Add to the fact that you won't be able to play metal gear solid (ps exclusive) I think that would be a bad choice personally, given the fact that the ps4 is finally at least on par with the graphics capabilities of a 'good' computer system instead of being years behind.

#6 Blues4est

Blues4est

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

Agree with above posts, you could throw even an i7 in that mobo, oc ram up to 2133 and of course get a better card but you'd end up paying for stuff you don't want and might not be able to sell easily, if at all.

You can find credit card deals where if you spend 500 in the first month(s) they 'give' you $100. Sell what you don't need NOW while it's worth something, or barter, and plunk down on some new hardware. Buying used has worked for me but you never know what problems you might be getting on a gaming rig. Scope out who's selling: if they only play MMO's, no OC and look to be honest it may be worth buying used, if they seem too eager to sell, too smooth, I'd pass. Some parts I'd always want new but I've bought used pc's that have worked fine for years. YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users