Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware, Trojans, and my dire situation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tazr

Tazr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

Hello. I'm fairly new to these forums, and I need help with one of my computers. So, I have a Dell Windows 7 computer that is having MAJOR virus problems. Ever since a shady looking game patch was downloaded to the computer, we've been having problems. To make the situation even worse, we had a just recovered from a virus a few weeks before. To make that even worse, I left the virus for too long. Eventually, I decided to take initiative and downloaded Avast Premium, and Malwarebytes. Both have not worked out. With a full computer scan from  Avast, the anti virus program picked up 2 or 3 malicious programs. At first, I thought I was done with it, but then my computer started acting up again. I then downloaded Malwarebytes, and scanned once. It picked up 20 or 30 malicious programs, compared to the 2 or 3 of Avast. So I did the sensible thing and deleted the programs. So I thought everything was fine until I did a scan about a week later. This time, about 35 viruses popped up. And so the cycle began. Every week I would scan it, delete it, and be done with it. Then, a week later, I have to scan it again. The problem is, deleting the viruses isn't doing any good on the computer. My computer is really slow right now, due to the massive toll the malware is taking on my poor 5 year old Dell. So, now, the way I see it, I have a few options. The first is to clean the viruses either  through scans, or manually. The second is to clear my computer completely, like, factory restart. There are two advantages to this option. One is,it will get rid of all, if not most, viruses. The other advantage to this option is that it will clean my computer of all the junk I have and the programs that no longer work, speeding up my computer greatly. I also need to free up some space, considering that I only have 8.7 something megabytes of space left, which is close to my computers max capacity. The third option is to get a new computer. This is also a great option considering my Dell is on its last legs. So tell me; is my computer saveable? or should I factory reset? Will a factory reset make the computer as fast as it was when I first got it? Thanks,

Taz

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 June 2015 - 07:49 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

The choice is yours to decide ? Clean or Factory Restore.

Depending first if you have a restore partition , or Windows Disk and you have backed up all your personal files , any suspect files omited.

I would do a factory restore or clean install as cleaning can be a slow process and time consuming for all to complete.

Once Restored , remove programs not needed , install all updates and drivers , install an antivirus program , configure apps etc , in that order.

If you wish to manually clean with assistance from Bleeping , im sure someone will assist you with the process and the time.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

You should have 15% free space (swap space) on you hdd.  With the small amount of free space you have would explain part of the computer being slow.

If you do a system recovery you need to be aware that this will convert the operating system back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  You will lose any non-Windows programs you have downloaded or installed from a disc,pictures, documents, email addresses, etc.  If you have backed up any data which you wish to save to removable media, I would say go for it.

Edited by dc3, 09 June 2015 - 09:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hello,

You haven't mentioned with what kind of infection you were or still are infected? What were AV program reported? 

I am always for cleaning PC, not for reinstaling or doing restore.

I think you should clean your machine and solve problem with lack of space on hard drives. 

I have also old machine, with Vista, and it is working for 7 years without re-installing system. I thing it is possible to speed up your system, but it needs more effort that just to do clean install or something else. 

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

I am always for cleaning PC, not for reinstaling or doing restore.

Usually I will only suggest using the system recovery as a last resort.  But Tazr has some issue which would be resolved much quicker by doing the system recovery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users