Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

Emachines E627 laptop running Win 7.  I tried to sign up for the free upgrade to Win 10 and found that it cannot happen because my Win 7 is not updated.  Then when trying to update, I found (in a historical list) that it has not been able to update for some time.  I ran the troubleshooter and found a problem with the service registration(?).  I ran Belarc Advisor to find all the registration numbers.  So I have access to all the keys, registration numbers, etc.

This is a legitimate copy of Windows; I purchased it with Windows 7 installed.  Can someone please give me some guidance.

Belarc attached.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 June 2015 - 07:06 PM.
removed Belarc .pdf attachment. also moved topic from XP to Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

Read THIS. It's still a common issue in my area. Your computer could be affected.

Try looking for update KB3004394. If it's there, Microsoft recommends to download the update for your version of Windows to undo the change.

However, in my personal experience, I've only known Microsoft's solution to work about 50% of the time. In half of the cases I've seen it in, uninstalling the bad update worked to fix the issue.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

Tyl, I removed the .pdf of your Belarc results.

It contained your Windows serial key, which is something that does not need to publicly posted.

#4 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

Queen Evie - oops; thanks.  What do I do now?  Will you be assisting or should I follow the suggestion of goose90proof?

Forgot I was talking Win 7 too.   

Thx.

Edited by tyl604, 08 June 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

No, I will not be helping you with this since I am clueless about your issue.

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

Instructions from here:

Run System File Checker

1.        Click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.        At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. 
The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.

Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Run the System Update Readiness Tool

1.        Download the System Update Readiness tool.
Click the download link in the following table that corresponds to the version of Windows that is running on your computer.

Find out if your computer is running the 32 or 64-bit version of Windows

This tool is updated regularly, we recommend that you always download the latest version. 

Operating system

Download link

x86-based (32-bit) versions of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 7

Download the package now.

x64-based (64-bit) versions of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 7

x86-based (32-bit) versions of Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Vista SP1

x64-based (64-bit) versions of Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Vista SP1

2.        Install and run the tool.

1.        Click Download on the Download Center webpage, then do one of the following:

·         To install the tool immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

·         To install the tool later, click Save, and then download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install the tool, double-click the file.

2.        In the Windows Update Standalone Installer dialog box, click Yes

3.        When the tool is being installed, it automatically runs. Although it typically takes less than 15 minutes to run, it might take much longer on some computers. Even if the progress bar seems to stop, the scan is still running, so don't click Cancel.
4.        When you see Installation complete, click Close.

When these are complete, attach C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log with your reply.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#7 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

Update problem resolved before I saw this post.  I went to the Windows updates and wrote down the error 0x80070490 then googled it.  Found a Windows webpage and followed instructions.  Took almost an hour but it loaded several updates and I am in good shape now.

Thanks for the help.  Now all I need to do is follow my other thread to see if we can find out why it runs so slowly; working on that.

Great forum.  Please consider this thread resolved and closed.

Edited by tyl604, 09 June 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#8 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

Well, I am back.  Checked today and found that the Windows updates since June 9 have not been working.  I will follow the directions in the last post from the forum and get back as soon as possible.

The Windows Update Standalone Pkg downloaded but when I asked it to Run, it said this update does not apply to your computer.  So here is the only log that I have:

Very long so I attached the file called CBS. log.   I do not have a file called CBS/CheckSUR.log

Looks like the CBS.log did not attach so I will try again.  Not sure what i did wrong.

Edited by tyl604, 19 June 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#9 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Still do not see the attachment.  Trying again.

Finally; I had forgotten to click Attach this File; then when I did, it was too big.  It is now zipped and attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   421.4KB   0 downloads

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Just general FYI:

Always remember, anything to do w/ Updates not going or other problem issues w/ them is a FREE call to MS Tech Support.  Is considered a security matter w/ the OS and therefore, they will fix @ N/C.

The # is 1-866-727-2338

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#11 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

That is interesting; I will make the call.  Odd that none of the moderators on the forum made this suggestion.

Thanks for the advice.

#12 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

Wow, Drew1903 - you were exactly right.  I called Microsoft at 866-727-2338 and they took over the laptop and resolved the problem.

The problem was an update to Windows Explorer 11.  Explorer 11 was already installed previously and this update was for a new installation.  For some reason it was not able to see that Exp 11 was already installed and working.

The MS guy just changed the update to "not important" and told me not to worry.  He said that any new updates to Exp 11 would work and that there was just a quirk with this update which caused the problem.

So thanks again to the forum.  Much appreciated.  I am good to go.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

That is interesting; I will make the call.  Odd that none of the moderators on the forum made this suggestion.

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome. Maybe because I am an IT Pro & a Microsoft Partner. Glad they sorted it for you.

Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 19 June 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#14 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Did not mean to dis the moderators; they do a great job.

Thanks to all.

Edited by tyl604, 19 June 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#15 TechTorpedo

TechTorpedo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

MS tech support always very helpful, did the singing up to windows 10 work after you updated ok?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users