Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook - 'the link, hehe' (google short link) - account hijack?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

I've looked all over the place but I can't find any information on this as it's using generic terms so there's nothing specific to search for,apologies if this has been posted somewhere already which I suspect it has.

The issue I've seen three or four times now is that someone posts something generic on a friend's wall then appears to immediately comment on it with 'the link, hehe.. (google short link).  The first part varies, the one today is 'I dare you to edit this weird movie ?' but the second part is identical aside from the google short link changing.  I've used the Google site to see what the short link expands to which seems to be a different site each time, I've not opened the site but the only brief mention I found on a reddit thread claimed the page had a fake FB login to capture username/passwords.

As it's friends of friends who seem to have been caught by this, I've not been able to have a look to see how their account has been compromised - anyone familiar with this and know the source?

Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hi there,

It is a form of malware that spreads on Facebook via shortened links. Usually those are worms or malicious extensions in the browser.

If someone got hit with this, it is best that you do a checkup on the computer with antivirus and antimalware software - if you need help, feel free to post in Am I Infected and we will be glad to help.

Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

There was an article like 2 weeks ago on an Antivirus Security Blog about the use of shortened URLs to spread malware on Facebook and other social medias. I'm trying to look for it now since it's quite related to the question you're asking.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Check Malwarebytes Unpacked, Aura.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Which one exactly? I recall that it wasn't Malwarebytes Unpacked, but an Antivirus company like Sophos or ESET.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

Shortened URLs on Social Media leading to malware is not new.

Using Facebook can be hazardous to your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 JohnMcL7

JohnMcL7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:06 AM

Shortened URLs on Social Media leading to malware is not new.

I'm well aware it's nothing new but I'm trying to find the details of this specific one, I've checked your links but none of them refer to this version as far as I can see.  I've had a look through the security blogs listed above but not found it there either although it is difficult given there's so many hijacks on Facebook.  This one seems particularly virulent as I've seen it several times amongst groups of friends who have no connection.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

Well, if we had some of the shortlinks and their real URLs behind, maybe it would help a bit, but you cannot really post them publicly here as it would be dangerous.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

I'm well aware it's nothing new but I'm trying to find the details of this specific one, I've checked your links but none of them refer to this version as far as I can see.

Understood but I mentioned that since other members are reading this topic and not all of them may know.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users