Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DLL error EVERY TIME I try to open a program - I'm lost!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tialaree3

tialaree3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

3 days now Im stuck, I can not open any programs or access the internet. Although I can open files and images, I ge tthe same error message. 

c:\windows\system32\MSASN1.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Yes I know Vista is outdated but I hate change and until now it has given me no issues....Please HELP 

(I'm new so forgive me if this is posted incorrectly) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Hello tialaree3, and  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

:step1: We need to scan your computer with the Windows System File Checker:

The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows system files and replaces corrupted, modified, or incorrect versions with the correct versions if possible.

Note: Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state.

Note: Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

For Windows Vista / 7:

• Click the Windows Start Orb in the bottom-left
  • In the search box, type cmd
  • Right-click on the search result cmd.exe then click Run as Administrator

Next:

• Copy and paste the following line of text into the black box:
    note: to paste, right-click in the black box and choose Paste
    sfc /scannow
  • Press Enter to run the command
    note: this scan may take a while to finish, and if SFC reports that it could not fix something, run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it is able to.

:step2: We need to retrieve the System File Checker log:

• Click the Windows Start Orb in the bottom-left
  • In the search box, type cmd
  • Right-click on the search result cmd.exe then click Run as Administrator
  • Copy and paste the following line of text into the black box:
    note: to paste, right-click in the black box and choose Paste
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > "%userprofile%\desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Press Enter to run the command, a text file sfcdetails.txt will be created on your desktop
  • Please post the contents of this log in your next reply

How is your computer running now?

Edited by jntkwx, 15 June 2015 - 09:31 AM.

Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 tialaree3

tialaree3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Question....how many times should I run it. Until it gives me another result? How will I know when to stop?

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

You can stop when It will look like this:
2328d1231529438-sfc-scannow-command-syst

However, if you've run it 3 times, and the result is not like the image above, stop and we'll try troubleshooting it a different way.

Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users