Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing history

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

I heard on news if you clear out your browsing history it could land you in jail.

I for one always clear my browsing history I use click and clean and Sometimes I use the disc clean on my PC.

Any one heard the same thing I heard on news?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

It's a holdover law created during the Enron scandal. The Sarbanes-Oxley act. They used that to go after one of the friends of the Tsarnaev brothers. Who committed the Boston Marathon bombings. Unless you clear your browser history in realtionship to a criminal coverup you have nothing to worry about.

If you committed a crime and your browser history needs to be cleared to cover it up. I doubt you're worried about the consequences of the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

More reading here: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150606/16191831259/according-to-government-clearing-your-browser-history-is-felony.shtml

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

Wow, I had never heard of that. I delete my history all the time, plus my browser does it automaticlaly when it closes.

Edited by hollowface, 08 June 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

What makes this worrying is you might be under investigation and not be aware of that fact. Innocent people fall under that category, and when a knock on the door means a search warrant, and you've deleted your history, now you have some 'splainin to do.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

While the preceding scenario is possible. It is not likely very probable. After all they used a 13 year old law to go after this individual. Understanding that it was related to a not very secret investigation that was two years old. If they want you bad enough they will find a way. Browser history or not. Remember they used a law designed for corporate wrong doing and applied it to an individual. Can you say overkill.

I cannot see in the current day. That a person who does not commit a crime, or does anything worthy of federal investigation. Has to worry about clearing their browser history.

If that is the case then why aren't the federal investigators going after browser vendors for facilitating browser history clearing in the first place. Can you say aiding and abetting criminal activity?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Ok thankyou animal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users