Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware or Ransomware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Centurian18

Centurian18

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Is there a way to determine which one has infected my DELL and how to get rid of it?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 June 2015 - 04:39 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hello,

You should check your computer with some antivirus program (if you don't have one installed, we can help) to determed if you are infected.

Also, some info about CryptoWall ransomware: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptowall-ransomware-information

Do you suspect that you are infected with some kind of malware?

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

Malware means malicious software, is basically the typical virus/software that causes your computer to run slow. Ransomware is a very specific type of virus that encrypts your files, and ask for money to decrypt it. There are severalt ups of ransomware, and you have to be very careful with it. 

What type of problems are  you having with your computer? Do you have a wallpaper asking for money, and not able to open files?

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hello there,

Do you have a ransom note somewhere in your computer? Usually they are dropped in My Documents, though CryptoWall drops ransom notes everywhere it can get to.

Does your files have any new extensions?

What is the name of the ransom note?

#5 Centurian18

Centurian18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Is there a way to determine which one has infected my DELL and how to get rid of it?

The computer was running on Cox with Cox's anti virus and anti malware.  The message I got was, "you are logged on as temporary user and anything you do will be erased when you leave the page."   All my pictures, documents, videos, and email are not accessible from that PC.  There was no ransom note.  Whatever happened, took away my admin capability and will not allow me to create another user account with admin capability.  All files in my user account are "TEMP.Timber-PC000, 001, etc.  All restore points were deleted.

If I can't solve the problem, I'll probably replace the hard drive but the Windows 8 was pre loaded so somehow I will have to down load it from Microsoft.

I think that answers most responses. 

Sorry for the late response to all your questions but I had trouble figuring out to respond.  My first day on this forum.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

...Do you have a ransom note somewhere in your computer? Usually they are dropped in My Documents, though CryptoWall drops ransom notes everywhere it can get to.

Does your files have any new extensions?

What is the name of the ransom note?

Please answer these questions asked by Alex.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Centurian18

Centurian18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

There is no ransom note that I have found.  It was not dropped  into my documents because "My Documents" is empty.  The only file extensions are .000, .001, .002, etc. Example:  TEMP.TIMBER-PC.000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users