Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Emsisoft

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Good afternoon,

I thoroughly admit to being nearly dumb as a rock as pertains to things digital.  Over the years however, BP has helped me with terrific general advice and also a few specific problems that required several days to repair.

Several weeks ago, as I needed to uninstall avast! free antivirus from this Windows 7 laptop, looking around at this forum and around BP, I see the Emsisoft info, see the recommendations following the names of the BP's "answer" team, and because of my trust in all things BP, I decided on the trial of Emsisoft.  How it qualified as an antivirus eluded me, and having used MBAM Pro for years now, I thought it might be duplicate coverage.  

It does seem like a light-footprint program.  However the first time I wanted to use Microsoft Word Starter 2010, I started getting notices about MSOSYNC.exe.  It kept saying that this program (Word Starter which I've used for 3 years without problems) is trying to manipulate other programs etc.  No matter what I clicked on the Emsisoft notices, ( Allow Once, etc), these would keep popping back up.  I tried to research it on the forum to no avail.  I tried to understand what a whitelist was and how I could exempt Word Starter.  I tried to set up an account to ask a question on the Forum but no reply of any kind.  In fact, many of the forum answers are simply beyond my understanding.  And 18 days later, when I open Word Starter sometimes the warning notice comes and sometimes it doesn't.

The Trial Period expires in one day, and I see no way to uninstall Emsisoft.  If I could understand how to effectively interact with it, I'd probably pay for it, but it doesn't seem possible.

I'd appreciate some guidance and good 'ole BP advice.

Thanks.

MBAM Pro

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

HP g7 Notebook

6GB DDR3 SDRAM

640GB 5400RPM HD

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

The correct way to remove Emsisoft Anti-Malware is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs > Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder.

2. Setup Files
If you need to uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security this should be performed by using the uninstaller provided. You can locate the uninstaller from either the Start Screen/Start menu, or via the Windows Control Panel.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Help

If you are unable to remove Emsisoft Anti-Malware, you may need to use the Emsisoft Uninstall Tool (emsiclean.exe).

This is a summary of instructions for using emsiclean.exe provided by Fabian Wosar, Emsisoft Employee (Post #2).

However, before using it on your own, read this important information...

In general it is not recommended to use Emsiclean on your own. There are various potential problems with it that aren't obvious and may result in data loss. We therefore recommend to not use it unless one of our support employees instructs you to.

Fabian Wosar, Emsisoft Employee (Post #6)

With that said, you can always contact the Emsisoft Support Team by email for individual assistance or start a new topic in the applicable Customer Support Forum for your particular issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hi there,

What you described appears to be a Behavior Blocker alert. Normally Emsisoft Anti-Malware (I assume that is what you use?) will consult the Anti-Malware Network for what to do, and if it does not get any information for that file - or you disabled the "submit to Anti-Malware Network" option - then it will ask you what to do.

Normally I would just click "Allow always" if it's a trusted software, and it will automatically be added to the Anti-Malware Network database so EAM will not ask you again. If it bothers you too much, post a whitelist request in the False Positives forum area and one of the analysts will whitelist the software for you.

I have Microsoft Office 2013 installed, and the only time when EIS (I use Emsisoft Internet Security - which is EAM with a firewall) queries me about it is after an update.

Let us know if there are other things you need to ask.

Regards,
Alex

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

Normally I would just click "Allow always" if it's a trusted software, and it will automatically be added to the Anti-Malware Network database so EAM will not ask you again

That is what I do from time to time with certain programs. And if the program is updated, I have to update the rule.

However, Jackie said "No matter what I clicked on the Emsisoft notices, ( Allow Once, etc), these would keep popping back up" so for some reason that is not working as it should. The support folks should be contacted so they can figure out exactly what the problem is. That way EAM will not need to be removed.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

In that case I would also suggest you post in the Emsisoft Support Forum - the team will try to figure out the problem.

Just one little thing...

How it qualified as an antivirus eluded me, and having used MBAM Pro for years now, I thought it might be duplicate coverage.

Emsisoft provides AV detection thanks to its dual-engine scanner combining BitDefender and inhouse technology. Using MBAM Premium with EAM would be overlapping in the AM department :wink:

But I use that combo as well, so who am I to judge? :lol:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

...Using MBAM Premium with EAM would be overlapping in the AM department :wink:

But I use that combo as well, so who am I to judge? :lol:

I am an "overlapper" too since they play so well together. :whistle:

#7 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Normally I would just click "Allow always" if it's a trusted software, and it will automatically be added to the Anti-Malware Network database so EAM will not ask you again. If it bothers you too much, post a whitelist request in the False Positives forum area and one of the analysts will whitelist the software for you.
Alex

My apologies; I have Emsisoft Anti-Malware installed.

I clicked on "Allow always" quite a number of times, and it was not automatically added to the database you referenced.  Right now, there are three items in Behavior Blocker: MSOSYNC.exe; Offspon.exe; and WINWORDC.exe.  It says they're being monitored and under Reputation it says Verifying...  It's been that way for days.

I have not unchecked or disabled any options or setting.

As I said, "I tried to set up an account to ask a question on the Forum but no reply of any kind."  I went through the setup questions, but they never sent a confirmation email so that I could set up an account in order to be able to ask a question.

I'm uncertain now as to how to proceed given quietman7's instructions.

Thank you for any further suggestions.

Edited by jackiemarie, 08 June 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#8 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

In general it is not recommended to use Emsiclean on your own. There are various potential problems with it that aren't obvious and may result in data loss. We therefore recommend to not use it unless one of our support employees instructs you to.

Fabian Wosar, Emsisoft Employee (Post #6)

With that said, you can always contact the Emsisoft Support Team by email for individual assistance or start a new topic in the applicable Customer Support Forum for your particular issue.

Their site wouldn't let me start a topic, and they wouldn't reply to my request for an account.

That being said, shouldn't there have been some sort of notice that this antivirus/antimalware product was intended for use by experienced/knowledgeable users?  And that there was possibly no easy way to uninstall it after or during the trial period?

Because I wasn't skilled enough to read between the lines so to speak, it feels like I'm hostage to them now.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hi there,

Did you check your Spam/Junk box to see if the confirmation mail landed in there? Unconfirmed accounts cannot post on the forum.

Emsisoft is actually more user-friendly than most other AVs... probably something went wrong and we don't know what.

Meanwhile if your trial is expiring in one day, please install another AV to keep yourself protected. Do not worry about EAM yet, it is compatible with other AVs and AMs.

#10 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hi there,

Did you check your Spam/Junk box to see if the confirmation mail landed in there? Unconfirmed accounts cannot post on the forum.

Emsisoft is actually more user-friendly than most other AVs... probably something went wrong and we don't know what.

Meanwhile if your trial is expiring in one day, please install another AV to keep yourself protected. Do not worry about EAM yet, it is compatible with other AVs and AMs.

Yes I checked junk/spam; nothing was there.

So what will happen with the Emsisoft?   You say "Do not worry about EAM yet" - at what point do I take action?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

We will try to get someone from Emsisoft to look over your issue in this topic.

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

After the trial expires EAM will gives you two options: to enter a license key and continue to receive protection, or switch to freeware mode and use it as an on-demand scanner similar to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.

Please give me some time to think up a course of action... I have some people to consult.

On a side note, which ISP are you using?

#13 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Internet is through U-Verse/AT&T.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Jackie said in the first post if EAM would work properly they would pay for it. I think that is the way to go rather than just let it lapse into freeware mode.

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

Internet is through U-Verse/AT&T.

Sadly this is not something wrong on Emsisoft's side - your ISP is one of the three ISPs in the United States known to block emails from Emsisoft (the other two being Comcast and COX) and does not respond to Emsisoft's delisting requests.

We have an option... one of our Emsisoft representatives can activate your account, but then you will have to regularly check the forum for answers to your topic since you will not get any email notifications.

Let us know what your opinion is.

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users