Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue - Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bksatx

bksatx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

I'm totally baffled by this problem....

I have an Acer Aspire AT3-660-UB308 desktop computer.  Everything has been working fine.  Was gone this weekend, went to my computer and it was running a little slow.  Decided to reboot.  During reboot, I noticed it did a couple of Windows updates.  No big deal. 

This morning I get back on the computer, open Outlook, and it asks for all of my passwords for the different mailboxes.  I attempt to open a PDF and it tells me that that service is unavailable, please reinstall software.  Strange!!!  I reboot.  It takes forever.  Hangs up when I log in.  Finally logs in and then it reboots by itself.  My first thought is that I should boot into Safe Mode.  I reboot again and it finally comes back on.  I get to MSCONFIG, and tell it to boot to safe mode.  It restarts and does nothing.  It seems like it is on, I hear a beep occasionally, but nothing ever comes onto the screen.

I have tried to boot to the BIOS, unable to do that.  Totally at a loss on what is going on.  PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

If you're unable to boot to the BIOS, please tell us what happens when you try it.

Are you able to get back into Windows?

Do you have recovery media?

Does it show anything on the screen when booting?

You can try removing the power to the system (unplug the cord) and holding down the power button for 30 seconds (I usually only see this working in laptops, but it won't hurt to try it on a desktop).  Then plug it back in and see what happens.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bksatx

bksatx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

If you're unable to boot to the BIOS, please tell us what happens when you try it.

Are you able to get back into Windows?

Do you have recovery media?

Does it show anything on the screen when booting?

You can try removing the power to the system (unplug the cord) and holding down the power button for 30 seconds (I usually only see this working in laptops, but it won't hurt to try it on a desktop).  Then plug it back in and see what happens.

When I try to boot to the BIOS, nothing happens.  It sounds like the computer boots, but nothing comes on the screen. 

I cannot get back into Windows.

I have a USB stick for recovery media, but I cannot get it to boot the stick. 

It was showing the blue boot screen from Windows prior to me going into MSCONFIG and setting it to boot in safe mode.  Now nothing.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

There's 2 possibilities that are most common:

1)  The video card is dead (if that's the case, the rest of the normal sounds would likely come up while the system is booting)

2)  Other components are dead/dying (you'd get less of the normal sounds if this is the case)

Start by unplugging the computer, opening the case, and then hold onto the metal of the case (this will help to ground you while messing around inside the case.

Then, disconnect the 2 cables that go to the hard drive (do this for each hard drive in the system)

Reconnect the power and see if anything has changed.

If not, then unplug the computer, ground yourself, and then remove all but one of the memory sticks.

Reconnect the power and see if anything has changed.

Do this for each of the sticks individually.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bksatx

bksatx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

Update.....

I did have a bad video card.  I replaced that and was able to get at least to the BIOS.  I have been able to get in via a USB stick, but still not able to get the computer into safe mode.  It just runs through a few processes and just stays on the black screen.  Never gets any further.

Not sure what to do.

Fortunately, I am in the process of copying the contents of the hard drive to an external.  But....would prefer not to have to reinstall everything.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks

Brian

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:13 AM

Run these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You may have to disable SecureBoot and enable CSM/Legacy mode in order to boot from the disks

Are you able to get to the Startup Repair screen?  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4935-startup-options-menu-boot-windows-8-a.html

If so, try Startup Repair.

If that doesn't work, then try System Restore (NOT Refresh or Reset!)

Edited by usasma, 10 June 2015 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users