Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Josť Azevedo

Josť Azevedo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

I currently have a desktop with windows 7 OEM, but I`m saving up money so I can build a new gaming desktop. Because my operating system is OEM, I know I cant use it on the new pc, but is there a way I can use the free Windows 10 copy that I`ll get from the free upgrade on my new gaming pc? If I could get Windows 10 for free on my new pc, that would really be helpfull, because I could use the money I would save on better hardware, since a copy of Windows is like 100 dollars. (BTW, sorry for bad english)

Edited by Josť Azevedo, 08 June 2015 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hi José :)

Sadly I don't think that it'll be possible. Since the product key is OEM, it cannot be used on another machine, and because Windows 10 will use the same product key, if you try to install it on another machine, it'll refuse it. It'll allow you to get the Windows 10 .iso, but not product key to activate it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Josť Azevedo

Josť Azevedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi José :)

Sadly I don't think that it'll be possible. Since the product key is OEM, it cannot be used on another machine, and because Windows 10 will use the same product key, if you try to install it on another machine, it'll refuse it. It'll allow you to get the Windows 10 .iso, but not product key to activate it.

Well, that`s kinda of a bummer, but I guess I`ll need to save up for an os aswell. BTW, do you know how much a copy of Windows 10  will cost?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

Windows 10 Home will cost around $119 USD and Windows 10 Professional around $199 USD.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Microsoft makes available Special offers for Windows so save that link and keep checking back if you meet the criteria.

OnTheHub is another source for academic software discounts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

I have a e5.onthehub account, so I basically have every Microsoft software for free :P However, you need to be a student and have a MSDNAA contract.

unite_blue.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

There are also discounts and freebies available for government workers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

There's another website that gives software discounts for Army members if I recall well. They did that for Army members that goes back to school or are studying at the same time. I just don't remember the name.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users