Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook 13" 2008 model - DVD Drive not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

Put a DVD in it clunks, whirrs and then spits the disc out again and in Mac OS the drive has a yellow and black circle next to it, what's going on?

It's been two years since I last had a Mac.

Also will the optical drive of a 2010 MacBook Pro fit the earlier Macbook ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Apache15

Apache15

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hey Habesque,

Can you post a picture of the "yellow and black symbol?"

Edit: In reference to your second question, the optical drives should be the same size (the product spec pages that apple provides lead me to believe they are the same), but I'm not sure if the cabling changed during those models. So...I don't know at the moment, but I'll try to do some more digging.

Edited by Apache15, 09 June 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

Erm yes ;

thingy_zpsw8xzgay5.jpg

#4 Apache15

Apache15

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi Habesque,

The yellow and black symbol indicates that the drive is unable to read the disk. Are you unable to play other disks as well or only the one? If this occurs with multiple disks, it's possible that the optical drive needs servicing/replacing.

And to make sure I'm looking at the right optical drive specs, can you post the two macs' serial numbers? Here's a page on where to find them.

#5 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

Thing is, there's no disc in the drive and that symbol is there all the time along with the report '' Untitled DVD '', but the  serial number is W88141L50P0.

Now I don't know if the following has any bearing on the issue, but when I got the machine, it had no hard drive in it, so I put the hard drive out my dead 2010 13" Macbook Pro in it, where of course the hard drive has Snow Leopard and all my software that was on the pro before I tipped a glass on wine in it.

And no disc changes the report or works be it CD, DVD or anything I have burned to disc.

But the MBP the HDD came out of was model No. A12/8, serial number unknown.

Edited by Habesque, 15 June 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

The same thing happened to my early 2008 MBPs SD. Basically, it died. 

Click on the folder, hold, move it off the Finder window and release. Restart your Mac to see if it shows up again.

#7 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Another reason to change the drive out if it's screwed and even if it's not is it's a combodrive that's in the Macbook, not a Superdrive, where a Combodrive doesn't burn DVD's where the Superdrive does.

So of part numbers to compare the two drives I would need the part number for 2.4ghz version of the early 2008 Macbook I have to compare against the 2010 13" Macbook Pro, where ideally I don't want to take the drive out to check the physical as my next ploy is to find a dead MBP and try and fix the thing.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

I may be wrong here but, I think the 2008 uses the PATA drive while the 2010 models uses the SATA drives. You can buy used or new SDs from ifixit and macsales. They have installation instructions too.

#9 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

There's another possible reason why it doesn't work and that is the HDD I put in the ' 08 Macbook was from a 2010 Macbook Pro of which had  a Superdrive where the '08 machine has a Combodrive, so the possibility exists that I don't have the Combodrive drivers.

How would I go about finding and installing Combodrive drivers or should they already be in Snow Leopard, bearing in mind '08 SL could be a different built to the later SL?

#10 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:39 PM

Try with this ...

1. Open Disk Utilites
2. Click on your Hard drive partition "Macintosh (or what ever you renamed yours too)"
3. Click on the *Repoir Disk Permissions* button

#11 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thank you Natalie, but I have already been there on that to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users