Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangup/Crash/Startup Issue/Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 skeev88

skeev88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

Please excuse the long story, but I want to be as thorough as possible with what my computer is doing.  I also understand I may have not made the best choices in dealing with what was happening.

I was on my computer copying some files to an external hard drive when everything ground to a halt and eventually froze up.  Having no alternative I shut down the computer via the power button and restarted.  As the computer was booting I noticed everything was running a bit slower, so I walked away to let the computer do it's thing and when I came back about 15 minutes later it still had not started Windows, it was frozen in the "Starting Windows" screen.  I shut down using the power button again, and restarted.

This time Windows seemed to start up, very slowly, and it was not the normal look of Window 7, it had the old task bar but it was not in Safe Mode.  I saw a brief message that said that Windows could not connect to the Windows service, I didn't get to read it because it went away and the computer was running super super slow so I could not even re-open the message.  I tried to shut down but I could not even open the start menu.  I shut down using the power button again, and restarted.

This time I received the message that Windows did not boot properly and to run the Startup Repair, which I did.  The Repair ran for over 12 hours and did not seem to be fixing any problems.  I've had to run this utility in the past and never saw it run this long.  Feeling I had no choice I shut down again.

When I restarted the computer went into Check Disk mode and scanned.  Knowing this would take long I went out and when I returned Windows 7 was booted properly.  Everything was running pretty slow.  I was able to navigate folders, but opening programs was very slow.  I was able to shut down and restart properly, but it took a long time.

When I restarted things were a bit faster, but still pretty slow.  I could open Chrome, which I could not do the first time, but it was very slow to connect to website.  Larger programs were still not opening.  I decided that since I was able to open folders that I would back up some files on a flash drive.  At first the file transfers were very slow, but they sped up as time went on.  I finally left the computer on over night while it was copying.

This morning the computer seems to much faster, I am able to open Chrome and get online.  I restarted the computer properly and the startup is still a little slower than normal but not like it was.  I haven't checked large programs yet as I was leaving for work.  It's almost like nothing happened based on the little that I was able to check.

I know that computers don't fix themselves so I don't know what the deal is.

windows version: Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Installed Memory: 6.00 GB
System Type: 64-Bit

Also, I have a RAID backup drive, so I thought maybe I had a hard drive failure and the slowness that is speeding up is the second drive kicking in.  But I've received no messages that tell me that that is the case.

So, is this a virus, a hard drive failure, something else?  Any help is appreciated.

Edited by skeev88, 08 June 2015 - 10:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

Start by trying these free, bootable diagnostics.  Test ALL hard drives and don't forget the anti-malware tests, that way you can rule out the hard drive(s) and/or malware as a problem.

http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If all of these tests pass, then start on the rest of the diagnostics here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Even though you're not relating BSOD's, please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum): 

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Here is the zip file.  I'll start on the rest.

Minor update.  The computer still seems fine and rebooting is happening at pretty much the same speed as before the issue began.

Thanks.

Edited by skeev88, 08 June 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

No zip file, please re-upload it.

If the upload is failing, please upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox), make sure that it's shared, and then post a link to it here.

Please also upload this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

Here is the zip, I forgot the "attach" part after the choose part.

Attached Files

#6 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

Here's the other file.

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:10 AM

Lot's of disk errors in the Admin and System logfiles.

They stopped suddenly on 8 June 2015 (the same day that you said the system was working fine again).

Lot's of Handbrake errors referring to no disk

Have to wonder if it's to blame.

Please uninstall Handbrake

Lot's of Akamai network errors.  Please uninstall it.

You have a wireless USB wifi adapter.

Be sure that you have the latest, Win7 drivers for this device.

Using older drivers will almost certainly result in problems.

Your driver dates from March of 2014

XBox 360 wireless controller has an older (2009) driver that often causes problems.

Please uninstall the software and physically remove the device in order to test the system.

#8 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

Lot's of disk errors in the Admin and System logfiles.

They stopped suddenly on 8 June 2015 (the same day that you said the system was working fine again).

Lot's of Handbrake errors referring to no disk

Have to wonder if it's to blame.

Please uninstall Handbrake

Lot's of Akamai network errors.  Please uninstall it.

You have a wireless USB wifi adapter.

Be sure that you have the latest, Win7 drivers for this device.

Using older drivers will almost certainly result in problems.

Your driver dates from March of 2014

XBox 360 wireless controller has an older (2009) driver that often causes problems.

Please uninstall the software and physically remove the device in order to test the system.

I'm pretty sure the Handbrake errors are from some damaged discs that caused the program to hang and ejecting the disc to cause the program to stop attempting to try to pull information from it. 

I'll check on the USB driver, and the 360 controller can be uninstalled.

What is Akamai?  I'm not sure where I got it and I'm not sure what I do that uses it?

I noticed a lot of errors that read "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\DR7 during a paging operation."  I thought maybe that was indicating a hard drive failure.

I'm going to begin the scans from the links you provided tonight.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

Akamai is some sort of ad-related stuff.  Not really adware, but close enough to remove since you're having problems with it.

Search the MSINFO32 report for akamai (the search box is at the bottom of the MSINFO32 window) - that may give you some clues.

If you still can't find it, post back and we'll see about ripping it out by the roots.

The disk errors that you saw were the same that I saw.

Testing the hard drive with diagnostics will give you an idea of the physical condition of the hard drive

CHKDSK /R /F will repair file system errors on the hard drive.

#10 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

Sorry for the late response.

First, I have run the memory test from the wesbite http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html and let it complete nine passes overnight, no errors were found.

Next, for the HDD test, I went to the Western Digital site and entered the model number of my hard drive, WD5000AAKKS and downloaded the diagnostic program.  When I entered the program my HD name was an unusual group of characters, when I tried to scan it the program gave an immediate error and stopped the scan.  Every time I tried to scan the capacity changed, see the attached screenshot.  This is a 500GB HD, well two since it's a RAID.

I downloaded the "generic" tool that the website suggested, HDTune.  Ran a full scan under the Error Scan tab, no errors were found, I attached a screen of that as well.

After that I ran the ESET online scanner from the malware page, no threats found.

So the next step was to run those memory test which were designed to tax the system and I saw I'd have to watch the temp of the computer, I held off because my AC was broke and it's been especially hot the last few weeks so I knew that this was going to be an issue and decided to wait until after my AC was replaced.

In that time frame the computer had run with little to no issues.  Yesterday my AC was replaced and I was going to get back to these tests until last night when my computer started giving very similar errors to when this started.  It was hanging up bad.  It finally locked up and I had to shut it off with the power switch again.  Rebooting took a very long time but it seemed to work again, for about 15 minutes.  I tried to shut down but it hung up during shut down and I had to manually shut it down.

I restarted this morning and the computer began the CHKDSK utility "for consistency".  This is a new one on me, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is this something I should continue to run the other scans to diagnose, or does this new issue shed some light on what might be going on?

The CHKDSK results from the Event Viewer are below.

Thanks again for the help.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
The segment number 0x17441 in file 0x17449 is incorrect.
Fixing incorrect information in file record segment 95305.
Attribute record of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3 is cross linked
starting at 0xe9a75 for possibly 0x3 clusters.
Some clusters occupied by attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3
in file 0x17449 is already in use.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
from file record segment 95305.
The segment number 0x174a4 in file 0x174a8 is incorrect.
Fixing incorrect information in file record segment 95400.
Attribute record of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x4 is cross linked
starting at 0x1363637 for possibly 0x903 clusters.
Some clusters occupied by attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x4
in file 0x174a8 is already in use.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
from file record segment 95400.
The USA check value, 0x82ae, at block 0x2 is incorrect.
The expected value is 0xcb.
The multi-sector header signature in file 0x174bb is incorrect.
42 41 41 44 30 00 03 00 3c 33 11 c2 0b 00 00 00  BAAD0...<3......
05 00 02 00 38 00 03 00 18 03 00 00 00 04 00 00  ....8...........
Deleting corrupt file record segment 95419.
The multi-sector header signature in file 0x174d8 is incorrect.
52 4f 59 4c 01 00 30 00 39 00 11 00 0d 49 fa 39  ROYL..0.9....I.9
30 30 31 31 30 30 33 48 07 07 07 00 00 00 00 00  0011003H........
Deleting corrupt file record segment 95448.
  896256 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
Deleting orphan file record segment 95308.
  2241 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        0 EA records processed.                                              48 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
The object id index entry in file 0x19 points to file 0x174be
which is not in use.
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25.
The object id in file 0x174a8 already existed in the object
id index in file 0x19.
8d 1f c2 b3 17 3a df 11 ba dc b2 f4 6e 7b 01 e7  .....:......n{..
b2 29 7e ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  .)~.............
Deleting duplicate object id from file record segment 95400.
Index entry usgthrsvc of index $I30 in file 0x1ad points to unused file 0x19710.
Deleting index entry usgthrsvc in index $I30 of file 429.
Index entry USGTHR~1 of index $I30 in file 0x1ad points to unused file 0x19710.
Deleting index entry USGTHR~1 in index $I30 of file 429.
Index entry MSStmp.log of index $I30 in file 0x507 points to unused file 0x17408.
Deleting index entry MSStmp.log in index $I30 of file 1287.
Index entry tmp.edb of index $I30 in file 0x507 points to unused file 0x19069.
Deleting index entry tmp.edb in index $I30 of file 1287.
Index entry x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_none_dc990e4797f81af1.manifest of index $I30 in file 0x2666 points to unused file 0x174d8.
Deleting index entry x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_none_dc990e4797f81af1.manifest in index $I30 of file 9830.
Index entry X8DA09~1.MAN of index $I30 in file 0x2666 points to unused file 0x174d8.
Deleting index entry X8DA09~1.MAN in index $I30 of file 9830.
Index entry xrefs of index $I30 in file 0x17121 points to unused file 0x1744c.
Deleting index entry xrefs in index $I30 of file 94497.
The file reference 0x8000000017449 of index entry xes9res.dll of index $I30
with parent 0x17327 is not the same as 0xd000000017449.
Deleting index entry xes9res.dll in index $I30 of file 95015.
The file reference 0xa0000000174a8 of index entry fireprot.lay of index $I30
with parent 0x17458 is not the same as 0x70000000174a8.
Deleting index entry fireprot.lay in index $I30 of file 95320.
Index entry The First Four Years of index $I30 in file 0x174df points to unused file 0x174bb.
Deleting index entry The First Four Years in index $I30 of file 95455.
Index entry THEFIR~1 of index $I30 in file 0x174df points to unused file 0x174bb.
Deleting index entry THEFIR~1 in index $I30 of file 95455.
  1008542 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
Recovering orphaned file 100006 (86955) into directory file 219878.
  29 unindexed files scanned.                                         CHKDSK is recovering remaining unindexed files.
  27 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
The USA check value, 0x3a, at block 0x2 is incorrect.
The expected value is 0x20.
  896256 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 70 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 70 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 70 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
Inserting data attribute into file 95305.
Inserting data attribute into file 95400.
  56146 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  37531584 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

488279039 KB total disk space.
 434483708 KB in 353297 files.
    295008 KB in 56148 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1017107 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  52483216 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 122069759 total allocation units on disk.
  13120804 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 ad 0d 00 70 3f 06 00 24 9a 0b 00 00 00 00 00  ....p?..$.......
82 71 00 00 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  .q..0...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:36 AM

CHKDSK checks the file system on the hard drive - not the hard drive itself.

But if the hard drive is having problems, it can cause problems with CHKDSK (but not all CHKDSK problems are due to a bad hard drive)

Your report shows numerous problems identified by CHKDSK

As you have had problems with the Western Digital test, try the Seagate Seatools long test.

Test each drive in the RAID array individually.  Most likely you'll have to use the bootable disk to do this (but it won't hurt to try the Windows version in order to see if it works).

#12 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

But if the hard drive is having problems, it can cause problems with CHKDSK (but not all CHKDSK problems are due to a bad hard drive)

As you have had problems with the Western Digital test, try the Seagate Seatools long test.

Test each drive in the RAID array individually.  Most likely you'll have to use the bootable disk to do this (but it won't hurt to try the Windows version in order to see if it works).

Just to verify, when you say I should use the Seagate bootable disk, is this the one you are referring to?  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

And, for the windows version, is this the right test to run?  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

Edited by skeev88, 30 June 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#13 Mason Higgins

Mason Higgins

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/check-a-drive-for-errors

This one helps, for sure. 

#14 skeev88

skeev88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

I began the Windows Error Check scan last night, it seemed to be finding and fixing a lot of errors.  This morning it was still running, checking the file data very slowly.  It's still running.  It's at 153,000 of 896,000 roundabouts.  At this rate it'll take another few days to run.  Should I quit this and try the Seagate Bootable disk?  Should I let it run?  The numbers are still moving.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:45 AM

I wouldn't stop a test/repair in the middle.  Even though it's slow, let it go until it's done - it's safer that way.

Then try the Seagate Seatools test and see what that has to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users