Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:40 AM

I have a 512kb connection, and sometimes my modem just disconnect itself, and then connect back in few seconds? this doesn't happen very often, but y does this happen though?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

The most common reason for a modem to unexpectedly disconnect is due to a bad phone line connection. Apparently you have Windows configured to automatically connect/reconnect when an internet connection is needed.

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

so, what can I do about the bad phone line connection?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

The problem can be caused by loose connections, damaged phones, etc. The problem could be yours or the phone company's. If possible, you should have a line dedicated to the computer from the outside junction box to the computer. You can ask the phone company to run a test on the line for noise. You can also do this yourself in house by simply listening carefully on each phone. If you hear a faint buzz and you have a test phone jack in the outside junction box, you can plug in there and if you don't hear the same buzz you know the problem is yours to fix. You do have DSL not cable, correct?

Edited by buddy215, 07 July 2006 - 10:08 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

yes and thanx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users