Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Crashing during boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:04 AM

Long story...had Cryptolocker (or something similar), luckily the right version. Found help here to decrypt my files...took almost a week of running night and day. Appeared to work...ran a Kaspersky scan when it completed and everything checked out, so I finally shut down the computer. On the next reboot, it started up, the WindowsXP splash screen appeared VERY briefly, then it rebooted...

Had the BIOS set to reboot on an error, and it does. If I set it normally, I get a blue screen, of course it's not very helpful.

None of the boot up options work.

I've tried both the repair disc and OS disk, but they don't appear to work...I think the DVD drive may not be operational...yes, it is set as the first boot device...the HD is the second device.

During a safe mode boot, it'll get up to one of the Kaspersky files (maybe two to three screens of loaded files), then crash. I understand that the files shown during this boot have already loaded, so I don't know what file is next which may be causing the crash.

I took the HD and connected it to my laptop with an external drive bay and can get to the drive...I think I may have copied all my files to another external drive, but there are programs on it that won't run on later versions of Windows and I hate to lose them.

Ran chkdsk on the drive and it found nothing, but that's about the only utility I know to run.

Since I can't get to the msconfig on the drive, I tried renaming the win.ini and system.ini so that they won't run on the next boot up but it's still connected to my laptop at the moment. I'm sure there's other files I can alter to keep things from loading, but I haven't had much luck finding information on this.

Ultimately, since I can get to the drive, there must be some way I can alter some files to allow the system to boot into some mode...

Possibly a generic Registry, boot.ini file, etc., that can be copied?

Thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

it would seem that you antivirus deleted an important file from your operating system, most likely this file was infected, since normal mode is not working, the safe mode would be the only option, however it does not give you enough time, so the repair disk will be the only option.

I will suggest you, to either get another repair disk  or test the one you have in a different computer.

Also,

- What is the exact error you get in the Blue Screen!?
- Can you go into the Hardware Monitor section in your BIOS, and check your CPU temp?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

I have 2 suggestions:

1)  Run these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

2)  Then do a repair install of XP:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm (don't forget to backup your data first!)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

First, thanks for the replies...

Here's some info...CPU temp is 56C/132F.

Blue screen is quite lengthy...starts off with "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". Stop code is 7B.

Searching on 7B usually states "inaccessible boot device", but this doesn't appear in my blue screen.

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer running XP so I can't really test the disk(s)...and since XP isn't supported, I don't know anyone else running it that I could borrow the disk(s).

I can try the tools, usasma, but it'll take some time as I'm troubleshooting this as time allows (got a lot going on)...but I'll post results after trying them...

One used to be able to single step through the safe mode driver/file load operation and select whether to load or not...but I guess that feature has been removed as I cannot locate any information on it.

By the way, renaming the win.ini and system.ini didn't help...I'm guessing the error occurs prior to getting to these files anyway...

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

7B is also known as BugCheck or STOP error.  The number can be referred to as 7B, 0x7B, or 0x0000007B

The symbolic name associated with this error is Inaccessible Boot Device

So they all mean the same thing - which is that the system can't seem to find the device needed to boot from (usually the hard drive).

It seems that you're stuck about at steps 3 or 4 in this document:  http://www.carrona.org/xpboot.html

Try the suggestions there.

Another option is a repair install of WinXP:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The diagnostic tools can be burned on any other computer, then you can walk them over to the XP system and boot from them.

The repair install will require an XP disk of the same version as what you have now.

Finally, there's just not all that many people working with XP.  As such your options for assistance will be limited.

You can upgrade to another OS, and then use a VM (running XP inside of it) in order to run the XP programs.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Thanks usasma...

What's a little confusing to me is that the files shown loading during the "attempt" to boot into safe mode have to be stored on the hard drive...I know the last file shown is a Kaspersky file...if the system can't find the hard drive, how would it get these files?

Also, it would seem to me that if the WindowsXP splash screen appears briefly, Windows should be attempting to start up...

Would this actually be a problem whereas the system can find the hard drive, but WindowsXP cannot find something it needs to boot correctly?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

A hard drive isn't just bad or not bad.  There are many different things that can cause a hard drive to fail, and they can fail at different rates.

This can be a problem with the hard drive, or a problem where Windows can't find something it needs to boot correctly.

It can also be a problem with the cable - or even with the motherboard.  But the most likely thing (which is where we start) is the hardware diagnostics and then the repair of Windows.

As the Windows Splash Screen shows briefly, you're right in assuming that Windows is trying to start (so it is reading something from the hard drive).

The first step would be to run a hard drive diagnostic:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html (a sub-page of the bootable hardware diagnostics that I posted earlier: http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html )
That will tell you if a bad hard drive is suspected.  If that's the case, there's no point in pursuing this further - as it'll just waste your time.

If you don't want to proceed with the Repair Install ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) - then you can try these different "fixes"

- post a copy of your boot.ini file here for us to have a look at.

- run bootcfg /rebuild from a Command Prompt (there's a typo in the page that I linked to).  Here's some links about it's use:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bootcfg+%2Frebuild&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

- run chkdsk /r /f from a Command Prompt.  It may ask to run on the next reboot - select Yes and then reboot

-

#8 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Thanks again…the biggest issue I’m dealing with is that the DVD doesn’t appear to be working. It’s set as the first boot device and the access LEDs will flash, but neither the repair disk or OS disk run. So anything that requires a CD at this point is probably moot.

If I place the HD in a USB docking station, I can get to all the files from my Windows7 laptop. I did run chkdsk in the past without the switches and it didn’t find anything out of whack…but I’ll try running it again tonight with the switches.

I found after a lot of searching that my boot.ini file in WindowsXP Home Edition is actually sysdm.cpl…but attempting to run that from a command line on the Windows7 laptop actually just runs on the laptop, not the XP HD. Also, from what I read, an actual boot.ini file is only available on the Professional Edition, not XP.

Bootcfg looks interesting, but most of the information shows it running from the Repair Console…of course, I can’t get that on the WindowsXP machine due to the DVD issue. I found something about running it from a command prompt, but again, that’s while on the computer in question…I can’t get to a command prompt on the XP machine.

Can I run bootcfg on the Windows7 laptop and get it to return information on the WindowsXP HD in the USB docking station?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

The problem can also be with the DVD drive - it uses the same controller as the hard drive.

Remove the DVD drive from the system

- in a laptop there's just one screw that holds it in

- in a desktop, just disconnect both cables

There's lot's of programs that'll let you boot from a USB drive using an ISO of a CD/DVD

I like YUMI, but haven't looked for anything else in the last couple of years.

YUMI is free from here:  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Then you'll have to experiment with running the different tools from an ISO

In short, you can take any bootable CD/DVD and make an ISO of it (including your installation DVD) - then you can add that to YUMI and it'll run as if it was a bootable disk

You may be able to download an ISO of the Recovery Console from this post:  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2078797/free-recovery-console-iso.html

bootcfg has to run from the Recovery console on the system that you're working with (and it's only for XP).

Sysdm.cpl is not your boot.ini  It won't run from the Recovery Environment, DOS prompt, or the Repair Console as it also requires that the Microsoft Management Console be launched - and both are only designed to run in Windows.

boot.ini is (as I recall) a hidden system file in the root of C:\ (ie C:\boot.ini)

If you can get a copy of boot.ini to post, we can check it and see if it's damaged (so you won't need to run the bootcfg command).

If it is, we can rewrite it.

If it isn't, there's no need to repair it.

#10 z-hawkeye

z-hawkeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info...I'll be looking into this over the weekend...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users