Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Most Settings in Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bestofbad87

bestofbad87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Hey everyone,

I am running windows 8.1 and it has been running fine for a while. Suddenly I found that I cannot open different components in Control Panel. These include, Network and Sharing Center, System, Windows Update, Firewall, Devices and Printers etc. I can get into control panel but cannot open these settings. I have run malware scans and also tried repair tools. I have done a registry clean as well.

Please suggest any steps to try and get this fixed. I don't want to reinstall or refresh windows.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by Budapest, 07 June 2015 - 08:22 PM.
Moved from BSOD ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bestofbad87

bestofbad87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:24 AM

Hey everyone,

Please help...

I have tried several things to get this fixed.

I tried sfc /scannow which said that there are issues. I have generated the logs and there are a lot of hash mismatches saying "Cannot repair member file".

I then tried using DISM which also failed with error 0x800f081f and also saying "The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired."

Please help with any suggestions.

Thank you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.

If that doesn't work, then try a Refresh of the OS.

To refresh your Windows 8.x system, go to Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery. Then under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files," click the Get started button

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bestofbad87

bestofbad87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hey Usasma,

I can't get to the Settings Menu either. It loads up and the just vanishes.

I have tried sfc/scannow as admin and that hasn't worked either. It just says there are some corruptions in the log and again when I try to fix it with DISM it fails with the errors I mentioned above.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:48 AM

Let's have a look at this report.  Please generate it after trying to open Settings a couple of times:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users