Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System freezes when copying hundreds of GB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PODxt

PODxt

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

I'm getting constant freezes with my system when copying large chunks of data from one SATA drive to another.

Here are my specs :

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Windows 7)
HD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm SATA3 (Windows 8)
HD: Seagate 3TB 7200rpm SATA3 (videos)
HD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm SATA3 (drive I want to secure erase)
MB: Asus P8P67
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
RAM: 4x4GB of Gskill PC3 12800 running at 10700 because of compatibility issues
GC: Gigabyte GTX 750
Cooling: Noctua NHD14
PS: Seasonic 650W 80+ Bronze

My system is Windows 7 on a SSD and I first got a system freeze when I tried to secure erase data on a Seagate HD with ccleaner. It ran for 15 or 20 minutes when the estimated time for the secure erase to complete was 7 hours and then froze. Mouse and keybs were not responding so I had to manually shut down the computer by pressing the power button.

Instead of secure erasing data with ccleaner, I decided to copy 1TB of video files on this drive to fill it at 100%. I also got a freeze after 15-20 min.

Now, I have some issues with my Win7 system because I ran combofix on it and it deleted many files that were not viruses and even removed KB from the MBR... I have not yet done a full clean reinstall but this is on my to do list. Since my Win7 system is sometime acting funky, I disconnected my SSD and connected another HD with a Windows 8 install on it (which doesn't share anything with my Win7 system, not even the MBR since it's on a different HD) to perform the copy of these large files to the other HD (Seagate 1TB). Unfortunately, Windows 8 also froze when copying these files which is very odd...

I checked if my drives were healthy with seatools, chkdsk and HDtune and they passed every test, showed no error and were marked as healthy.

I booted in safe mode with Win8 and could copy my files with no freeze. I also could wipe my drive clean with ccleaner and its secure erase option still in safe mode...

Could it be the motherboard or the SATA ports??? I don't get what's happening so, thanks in advance for helping me troubleshooting this issue!!! I'm cross posting this issue and will be updating this thread if there's any new development regarding it.

Edited by PODxt, 08 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.
Moved from BSOD ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Were both Windows 7 & Windows 8 installed onto their respective hard drives while connected to the single system in question, i.e. these aren't drives from another system?

Are you using Windows Explorer to copy the files?

Check for firmware upgrades for the SSD.

Run memtest86+ one stick at a time; alternate the slots - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:05 AM

Yes, Win7 and Win8 were installed on their respective HD (SSD for Win7 and HD for Win8) and share the other computer parts. When Win7 is running, Win8 HD is unplugged i.e. not connected to the MB and vice versa. I'm not on a dual boot setup.

I'm using Windows explorer to copy the files and there is no new FW for my SSD.

I'll give memtest a run, thanks for the suggestion, we never know.

#4 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Let me try to add some help to this post.

- I can see that your memories are not running at their default speed. Did you set up the timings manually?
- Taking in consideration that you have a "K" processor and a high end Noctua Cooler, is your CPU running any overclock at all?
- What temps is your CPU running? You can use an application called Hardware Monitor.
- By any chance do you use the same Antivirus on both OSes?

Since the issue persists even if the SSD is disconnected, or if the other HDD with the OS is disconnected we can assume that the issue does not come from them, nor the OS. 

- It could be the RAM, try taking out 3 sticks of RAMs, and do the copy again. (Do the same process for all sticks.)
- You can use Aida64 or memtest to stress your RAMs. 
- Since you mention that safe mode is working. Try updating your Motherboard ACHI drivers.  http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_Download/
- Download Chipset and Sata Drivers. 
- Do you have any spare HDD, where you could connect the SSD, the video HDD, and the spare HDD - to copy files from the video to the spare HDD. Or if you have a second computer where you could connect the HDD to make the copy, that will take out the HDD from the equation. 
- if none of the above work. You could try a diff PSU or a brand new installation of the OS, just to start fresh. 

*** I honestly think is the RAMs

#5 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi carlos, thanks for your helpful insights.

1/ My RAM is not running at 1600Mhz because even though it's their default bandwidth, I have to overclock the sticks in the BIOS to have them running at 1600Hz. And overclocking the sticks to 1600Hz can prevent the computer from booting as you can see in an old thread I started here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/389642/how-do-you-make-a-1600mhz-ram-stick-run-at-1600mhz/

I loaded the XMP profile but set the speed to default or auto, so I can boot without any hassle.

2/ My CPU is not overclocked.

3/ CPU is around 37°C (source : BIOS and memtest86+)

4/ I do have the same AV on both systems.

5/ I think you're right and that my HD/SSD are healthy.

6/ it can be my RAM even though I ran 1 pass of memtest86+ with no error yesterday.

7/ I tried to update my MB drivers but when installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, the installer says "the setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: This plateform is not supported". I also tried reinstalling the Chipset driver and the installer says my "computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".... so I can't install these on W8. Most of my drivers come from Windows Update. In case you're wondering, I selected the right drivers for my system (W8.1 64bits drivers) so no error here.

8/ I connected as you suggested my video HDD and my 1TB HDD to another computer and system and both, the copy and secure erase went fine, like on my computer while in safe mode.

Could it be the graphic card? I'll run 3-4 passes of memtest tonight just to be sure without removing sticks because I can't do that without removing all the Noctua.

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

Memtest86+ needs at least 7 passes per stick.

Run memtest86+ one stick at a time & alternate the slots.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#7 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

thnaks for the helpful insight. My PC also encounter similar problems too

#8 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

Hello jcgriff2, I stopped memtest before seeing your message and my sticks passed through 4.5 passes (see attached picture). Can we draw conclusions from that and say my RAM is clean from errors?

Not sure what to try now...

Attached Files

#9 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

I may have solved this in selecting the XMP profile in the BIOS for my RAM. I manually set the RAM voltage to 1.51250 v and haven't experienced any hang or freeze for now. Fingers crossed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users