Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a bad program, shutting down computer before computer crashes... help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:09 PM

I was using my microsoft office word program, and it all of a sudden went funky, like short circuiting out, then a blue screen popped up saying that the program I was using was bad and causing my computer to crash, so my computer was shutting down before it crashed. Then it shut down and came back up asking if I wanted to go back to a restored or previous thing, something like that, (a restore point), and it said it would probably turn off and on several times through out and could take several minutes, then the computer turned off and back on and the screen would not turn on... I have a dell all in one computer, so I do not have a separate tower from my monitor. What happened? How can I fix this? Any one out there have any ideas? I was not even on the internet at the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

When you first turn it on, can you see the Dell logo?  If so, does it show the Windows logo after that?

Do you recall details of what the blue screen said?

If you can see the Dell logo, then try these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You can press F12 to get to the boot menu in order to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

No, my screen is just black, nothing comes onto it, it does not turn on... it was a blue box with white lettering saying that the program I am using (but did not list the name of the program, so I only presumed since the only program I was using was the microsoft office word), is corrupt or something like that, and this computer is shutting down to prevent crashing. or something of the sort.. but it was shutting computer down to prevent computer from crashing...   the only thing I have not done is unplug the computer and try again.. I will try this... but I feel it may not work.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

Nothing at all on the screen is a big problem.

Try unplugging it and holding the power button down for 30 seconds.
Then plug it in and see if you can get any signs of life from it.

Most corruption errors are related to memory.

This isn't necessarily due to physical memory - but as you can't get into Windows that's all that we have to work with.
Are you able to safely remove the memory sticks?
If so, unplug the system, remove all but one of the memory sticks (while grounding yourself), then plug it back in and see if it works

If not, then try it with each of the other memory sticks, one-by-one.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Ok, so I tried to do the first part, turn it off, and hold power button in for 30 seconds, then turn it on, no screen. Are you talking about external ones you buy in the store that are like 2, 4 and 8gb? I do not have any of those in the ports... if you are talking about removing it from the internal part of the computer, that I do not know how to do....

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

What he is referring to are RAM modules.  These are found on the motherboard inside the computer.  Desktop modules look like the image here.

You will probably need your user manual for instructions to access the RAM.  You may need to dissemble some parts to access the the RAM.

In the image here you will see a typical motherboard.  In the lower right portion of the image you will see blue and white sockets paired together.  These are the RAM slots, if you look closely you will see that there is a white tab at both ends of each slot.  You need to press these down to free the module, you should then be able to pull straight up and remove the module.

What USASMA has suggested is for you to remove all but one of the modules and then turn the computer on.  If this works, remove the module and try it in all of the different slots.  Once you have done this and all of the slots work, remove that module and install the other module/s one at a time in just one slot and test them.

Important:  You will need to touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity your body has stored.  An electrostatic discharge can kill a RAM module.

Edited by dc3, 08 June 2015 - 10:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you are having. Let me try to add some help to the post. 

It's very rare to see a software issue causing your computer to not display anything at the monitor. So this could be two different things happening at the same time. Unfortunately if your computer does not show anything on the screen after you press the power on button, then this is a hardware related issue, and I would advise to contact a local technician. 

- Have you tried disconnecting your computer completely from the wall, waiting for 3-5 minutes, plug it back in, and turn on your computer again. 

- Does your AIO computer have a fan that you could hear before, and now you cannot?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you are having. Let me try to add some help to the post. 

It's very rare to see a software issue causing your computer to not display anything at the monitor. So this could be two different things happening at the same time. Unfortunately if your computer does not show anything on the screen after you press the power on button, then this is a hardware related issue, and I would advise to contact a local technician. 

- Have you tried disconnecting your computer completely from the wall, waiting for 3-5 minutes, plug it back in, and turn on your computer again. 

- Does your AIO computer have a fan that you could hear before, and now you cannot?

This most certainly can be software related.  It could be a problem with the MBR for example.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If you need instructions...

With the computer off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key and continue to do so till the Advanced Boot Options opens.  If this works, use the up or down key to navigate to Safe Mode, then press Enter to select it.

#10 carlosayon

carlosayon

• Banned Spammer
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

Did you read all the answers? - "No, my screen is just black, nothing comes onto it, it does not turn on... "

How is it that the MBR can cause your computer to not show video at all? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

MBR is related to Massive storage devices. Your computer should POST, even if you don't have a HDD connected .....

How will he get in Safe Mode, if computer doesnt POST?

#11 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

I do not have the typical computer... My computer and monitor is all in one.. I do not have a tower like most.  Yes I can hear my computer turn on and hear the fan run.  How do you take the monitor apart to get to the mother board of the computer... and here I thought this was going the best computer to get since space for us is limited. I guess I was wrong because this is harder to know how to take apart.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

Many AIO (All In One) computers have a cover to access the RAM - but not all of them do.

Most AIO computers don't have a cover to access the hard drive.

Some are easy to take apart, while others are very hard to open up.

IMO some Dell's are easy and some are hard.

If you don't have much computer experience, it's going to be difficult to open up (and then put it back together again.

You may want to take it to a PC repair shop in order to save yourself time (and minimize the risk of damaging something).

If you still want to try it on your own, we'll need the exact model number of your Dell AIO

From that we can locate a manual with instructions.

For example, here's a manual for a Dell XPS One 27.  The instructions for removing the back start on page 19:  http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-one-27-2710-aio_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

#13 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Inspiron one 2305  says reg model: W01C. I hope this is what you are looking for..Thank you USASMA

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Here's a link to the service manual:  http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-one-2305_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

If you only have one RAM slot, you may have to purchase a memory module to test with.  If that's the case, be sure to purchase it from a retailer/shop that'll let you return it for a refund (in case it's not needed).

Good luck!

#15 whisperinghorse

whisperinghorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

Thank you so very much....Will let you know how things go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users