Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New RAM wouldn't work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 donatazz

donatazz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R n5010 and the hard drive failed a few months ago. I replaced it and soon after the RAM wouldn't work. I ordered 2x4Gb modules 

"CT2293345 CT51264BF160B.C16FER2 UPGRADE FOR A DELL INSPIRON N5010 SYSTEM" to replace the broken (as far as i know from internet research) 2x2GB modules. After replacing, i still had the same issue, balck screen and then 4 beeps repeating. I really have no idea what to do now, return the Crucial RAM and buy others or something else. Any advice would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi

From here: Pretty much what I would also do. It says Inspiron 1545, but the same procedure applies.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19515227

4 Beep from an Inspiron 1545 indicates Memory read/ write failure. However, in order to isolate the cause of failure, please try thefollowing steps: 

• Remove all the memory modules from the computer and check if any beeps are heard.
  • If you hear the beeps, it means that the motherboard is working fine.
  • Then try only one memory stick at one time, in each slot. Example: Take one memory stick, insert it into the first slot, and check if the computer boots to windows. Then try the same memory stick in second slot and follow the same pattern until you test all the memory in all slots.
  • This would tell us if the issue is with mother board or memory.

There is a link to the service manual on this page

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/manuals

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 donatazz

donatazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply but i have tried all of those things previously, also pairing the new ram with old but still same outcome. 4 beeps with 1 or 2 modules in and 2 beeps with no modules in

Edited by donatazz, 07 June 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#4 donatazz

donatazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

Should probably add that the laptop doesnt have windows, drivers or anything, blank hard drive

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

I don't know what the sequence of events are but if nothing works even if this doesn't make sense replace the motherboard battery

It doesn't make sense none of the memory modules do not work

It appears to me there's a different reason that all memory modules are failing than defective modules

#6 donatazz

donatazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

thanks, i will try replacing it, hopefully works

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi

Did You buy this used somewhere, It begins to sound as if the Motherboard memory slots or circuitry may be bad. Take a Magnifying glass and look at them carefully for bent or burnt contacts. The memory is clicking in and locking? I just find it hard to believe that Both existing memories went bad at the same time.

While You can I would return the new memory since it did not help.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 donatazz

donatazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for replying

But wouldn't there be two beeps if motherboard problem because as i said before with 1 or 2 modules in, i get 4 beeps and with none, i get 2 beeps and from what i read, it means the motherboard should be fine

I will try to look at the contacts but i'm not sure what to look for

I will also be taking the laptop and new ram to a repair shop to see if they can test whether the RAM is faulty or not

And yes, the memory is clicking in and locking

Edited by donatazz, 10 June 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#9 donatazz

donatazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

I went to the repair shop and turns out the old and the new RAM are working so it must be the the pins on the motherboard that are bad or something else with the motherboard

The only thing i dont get now is,why it beeps differently when i remove RAM

I wont be looking on fixing the problem anymore, it's not worth it

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

"The only thing i dont get now is,why it beeps differently when i remove RAM"

Roger posted the manual in a prior post

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-intel-n5010/manuals

The beep codes are reported on page 47

With your memory modules removed, you get 2 beeps

--- The beep codes in the manual report that 2 beeps, the RAM isn't detected

--- Since there aren't any memory modules connected they cannot be detected

With your memory modules installed, you get 4 beeps

--- The beep codes in the manual report that 4 beeps, the RAM read/write failure

--- Although the memory modules are ok, as has been determined something is causing the memory modules not to work so they can't read/write

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users