Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI VS Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Hi there guys I had a problem with my WIFI adaptor the other day :smash:  so I hafd to get some Cat 6 cable and man what a diference it makes :grinner: speed wise

John

An Australian Living in the USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Yes. I have WiFi connection on my PC, and router is half metar from PC and it can't be faster then Ethernet. :D Not to mention longer distances. 

Edited by severac, 07 June 2015 - 12:01 PM.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

You will almost always, if not always, get a faster connection using ethernet compared to wi-fi, it's a matter of bandwidth.  However for many of us it is the convenience factor that leads us to use wi-fi.

You may have a laptop or tablet that you use in different rooms in the house, or, as in my case, a desktop may be situated in a location that makes running cable between the router/modem and the computer somewhere worse than inconvenient. I've just done a very quick guestimate and I would need about 19 metres of cable to route from my desktop to the router - and I have a fairly small house !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

You will almost always, if not always, get a faster connection using ethernet compared to wi-fi, it's a matter of bandwidth.  However for many of us it is the convenience factor that leads us to use wi-fi.

You may have a laptop or tablet that you use in different rooms in the house, or, as in my case, a desktop may be situated in a location that makes running cable between the router/modem and the computer somewhere worse than inconvenient. I've just done a very quick guestimate and I would need about 19 metres of cable to route from my desktop to the router - and I have a fairly small house !

Chris Cosgrove

That was the same with me but lowes had a 100 foot cat 6 on sales for $ 37.00 not a bad price

John

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

I use Wifi only because of where my computer is located. If ethernet was viable i would absolutely be using it, not just for speed, but also for a more stable connection.

#6 achek

achek

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

I`m using only cable connected ethernet connectivity :)

Cheers to all :)

#7 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Unless things changed: WIFI is HALF DUPLEX vs FULL DUPLEX for wired connections. Meaning, a wired conn should be faster as it sends and receives simultaneously.

#8 achek

achek

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

...and I think wired connections are more secure :)

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

I have a question about this,

Xfinity sent me a new WIFI router, my PC doesnt have WIFI.

My question is, is my router still sending out WIFI signals even though I have earthenet plugged directly into it?

Could someone hack into it?

#10 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

I have a question about this,

Xfinity sent me a new WIFI router, my PC doesnt have WIFI.

My question is, is my router still sending out WIFI signals even though I have earthenet plugged directly into it?

Could someone hack into it?

You can go into the settings and turn off the WIFI settings. If you can not find the settings call commcast and get them to do it

John

#11 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Could someone hack into it?'

Do you see your new device on this list? If so you can use instructions to get into it and change settings. You should try it  yourself to get a feel of how it's done.The new router probably has the default settings so an evil doer could probably log on.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-supported-routers-gateways-adapters/

#12 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

Thanks guys

If I am understanding it right, the WIFI needs to be set up,I didnt do that (PC not WIFI compatible) So even if it does transmit a signal, no one could use it

#13 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Thanks guys

If I am understanding it right, the WIFI needs to be set up,I didnt do that (PC not WIFI compatible) So even if it does transmit a signal, no one could use it

I would still double check with commcast to be sure

John

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks guys

If your system is capable of setting up WIFI then yes you would have to do that.

However, with the gateway unit you have, it still transmits to the public at large as a Comccast WIFI hotpsot and others can connect to the hot spot, even if you do not use the WIFI.

The hot spot is enabled by default.

You need to disable that feature as it is gateway function and has nothing to do with how you connect to the unit.

Instructions of disabling it are here https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

I upgraded my Comcast tv service in Feb. 2015 to the X1 system. As a result of the upgrade I got a new Comcast gateway unit.

The first thing I did after the tech left was disable the hotspot.

My feeling is that I don't want anyone else to connect to something I am paying for. They can find a different way to connect if they need/want to get on the internet.

edit to add: If anyone in your house wants to connect wirelessly, they will still be able to do so.

The network name will be HOME, followed by a series of letters and numbers. Anyone who wants to connect to your network while in your house will probably see several HOME numbers/letters listed. Some will be home networks of your neighbors, others will be the hotspot.

YOUR network name can be easily changed to something recognizable by you, which you can tell them to connect to.

Comcast also supplies a default password to use in order to connect to the network. This password is a ridiculously long series of letters and numbers. This can also be changed to whatever you want it to be.

Directions here if you want to change them

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-username-and-password/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 June 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#15 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

Well, what they did to me was, sent Me a new one in the mail and wanted me to ship back my old one.

I bought the old one at Best buy, so I didnt send it back

Anyway, like you I dont like the idea of letting others have access to wifi through me, unless they want to pay half the cable bill.

But yes, I will go to my account and disable it because my PC doesnt have Wifi capability

Thanks! :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users