Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tips- and Suggestions with Desktop Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hey guys, I'm not normally a regular poster in the threads here but I do come here for research with questions I may have with any small problems or tips or tricks with hardware/software knowledge building. Thought I'd start here before furthering my dive into upgrading my system that I built in 2011, I haven't been keeping up to date with hardware since that day I was finished upgrading. I don't think I had planned on building a system that could be upgraded, which is possibly the problem. If i can get some idea's where to start first. that would be very helpful.

I am a gamer, and I do a lot of Audio work/ Podcasts/ Music/ and Audio drama's also.

The Announcement for Fallout4 (besides the dated graphics I saw in the trailer) I'm looking to start building up my system.

Here are my current specs.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Graphics Card      AMD Radeon HD 6900

System Model    GA-890GPA-UD3H
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Award Software International, Inc. FF, 11/24/2010
SMBIOS Version    2.4
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory    12.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory    32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    28.1 GB
Page File Space    16.0 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
2  1 SATA Terabyte hard drives

Thermaltake  TR2 TR-600 600w ATX12v v2.3 SLl ReadyFire Ready Power supply.

Edited by DavidrHaley, 07 June 2015 - 07:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Maybe I epic failed this request for some advice.

:smash:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

What is your budget?

Assuming that your CPU is good, I'm not as familiar with the AMD lines.  Your RAM is good.  So the only thing I could see is the video card.  Possibly going to a solid state drive if you're running a mechanical drive now.

#4 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

What is your budget?

Assuming that your CPU is good, I'm not as familiar with the AMD lines.  Your RAM is good.  So the only thing I could see is the video card.  Possibly going to a solid state drive if you're running a mechanical drive now.

At the moment, $700.00 could be the range. I'm really comfortable with everything else, (monitor, speakers, Ram, Keyboard, Mouse, Webcam, Xml mic) So, I'm just not sure what my motherboard could switch over to, if possible. Like I said, I didn't really build this computer thinking ahead, in possibly moving towards an upgrade. I was a little dumb on that part.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm not a fan of upgrading motherboards or CPUs.  If those aren't sufficient I recommend looking at a new build.  If you switch to a different motherboard there is the possibility of not being able to move your RAM.

What is your power supply?  That could affect a possible video card upgrade.  Your budget is sufficient to either upgrade this machine or provided you can carry over a majority of the parts build new.

#6 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

I'm not a fan of upgrading motherboards or CPUs.  If those aren't sufficient I recommend looking at a new build.  If you switch to a different motherboard there is the possibility of not being able to move your RAM.

What is your power supply?  That could affect a possible video card upgrade.  Your budget is sufficient to either upgrade this machine or provided you can carry over a majority of the parts build new.

Thermaltake  TR2 TR-600 600w ATX12v v2.3 SLl ReadyFire Ready Power supply.

I can only guess there will be some big sacrifices that will need to be made, considering I didn't plan a head for this build. I'm prepared for it. 

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

My only suggestion since I am clearly an Intel Fanboy is stepping up to an intel build as they are much faster than comparable AMD processors.  If you wait a bit longer .. say for nearer the release of Fallout 4, you can probably build a great gaming rig for around 800.00.  I try not to go below 1000.00 which is what I usually quote for anyone that asks me .. how much would it cost to get me into a great gaming rig.  about 1000.00 ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users