Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Photos Stuck in Recycle Bin - Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob32

Rob32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hi there,

As best I can figure I have inadvertently moved the entire "My Pictures" folder to my recyle bin. I was moving pictures from my iphone to the computer and the deleting the photo on the iphone - then the folder suddenly dissappeared.

I've searched the whole drive but found nothing so I assume I must have sent to the recycle bin. This wouldn't be so bad except there are several corrupt video files which are causing errors with explorer.exe as soon as i open the folder, closing the window immediately...

The way I see it I either need to delete the corrupt videos from the recycle bin or restore the my pictures folder - without opening the recyling bin.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

Unhide Hidden Folders.  Click Computer. In the root of  C:\  you should see a folder called $Recycle.Bin 

Double click $Recycle.Bin   Double click on the folder that corresponds to the date you deleted the Pictures Folder. If you can see it then copy it to the correct location. If not then try the other folders.

#3 Rob32

Rob32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thanks for the quick reply, will give it a try when I get home tonight. Suspect I may still have a problem though as a couple of the corrupt video files were deleted the same day - not long before my picture folder disappeared.

Still, worth a try and I will update again afterwards.

Many thanks!
Rob

#4 Rob32

Rob32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hi all,

Ok so I had an idea last night, not sure if it'll work but bare with me. I figured that I wouldn't be able to open the $Recycle folder with my pictures (which I'm pretty sure now is where I have to look as the folder is suddenly 1.1TB large!) - BUT I figured that I could possibly search the folder once I'd followed JohnC_21's instructions in the last post.

Sadly, I've tried today and the search function doesn't pick anything up - all I get is "no items match your search" text...

Now, my hope at the moment is that I can't actually open any of the subfolders in $Recycle.Bin folder other than the whole Recycle Bin - instead I get an error message "C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-18 is not accessible"

Attached File  $RecyleBinCapture.PNG   58.98KB   0 downloads

Does any have ideas on how I can get around this (or whether my half brained scheme to search the $Recycle.Bin folder will even work).

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

Sorry, I was doing this on XP. On Windows 7 you will get an access denied message. You can bypass this by doing it offline or by accessing the folder using the hidden Administrator Account. 

Type CMD in the search box. Right Click Run as Administrator and type the following command.

net user administrator /active:yes

Reboot the computer and login to the Administrator Account. In folder options uncheck hide system system files. Double click computer and go to Go to the hidden $Recycle.Bin Folder. Double click it and then double click one of the subfolders. Do you have access.

After copying your folder to your other account in the Users folder then switch to your other account you normally login to. Open the CMD > Right Click Run as Administrator  and at the prompt type the following.

net user administrator /active:no

If this does not work then we can do it offline using a bootable OS disk.

Edit: I tried the above on a Windows 7 computer and sadly I could not get the Recycle Bin folder to show anything. This was not how it was on my XP computer where I could see the files and folders. Please disregard the above. I also tried using a bootable OS and still could not see any files in the recycle bin folder. Again, sorry I could not get this to work.

Edit Edit: You may be able to recover using the command prompt but that can be tedious for a lot of files.

http://superuser.com/questions/435973/recovering-folder-from-recycle-bin-in-windows-7-using-command-line-tools

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 June 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to post this separately. I was able to recover my deleted files using Puppy linux. I was able to open $Recycle.bin and view the files I deleted which I was not able to do with a Windows 7 boot disk. I can post instructions if you want on how to do this. It is a little different than windows as the disk partitions are named differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users