Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupt PST Outlook 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samuelcahun

samuelcahun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

User's machine is Windows 7 Pro 8 gig ram and Outlook 2010 

Server Windows 2003  standard edition, 32 bit, 4 gig ram, 60 gig System vol.

A user's PST gets corrupted each time the computer boots up.  

The user originally had their PST stored on a networked drive.  To reduce activity on the server's HDD, I opted to move the PST to the local machine.  
I did this by 
    1. closing outlook on the local machine, 
    2. copying the file to a folder on the local user's machine, 
    3. Via control panel/Mail, changed the location of the PST from the server to the local machine.  
    4. Closed control panel 
    5. Gave outlook back to the user.

Outlook opened fine and continued to work for several hours.

The next morning the user complained that Outlook would not work.  I found a error message stating the PST was corrupt.  I ran a scanpst which seemed to erased most entries in the PST.  I was able to restore the PST using Stellar PST rebuild utility.  

The PST working fine again, I then open and closed outlook several times with no problems.  Handed Outlook back to the user again.

The next morning, the same error messages and the PST was corrupt again.

I have directed the user to HTTP access to the email and remove the ability to send and receive mail.  This was to allow her archive style access only.  

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

How big is her .pst file? Large files of 2 GB or larger are known to suffer from corruption issues. When you ran scanpst, did you get any error messages? What were they?

You can also try repairing the Office 2010 on her computer. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, click on Office 2010 and choose the repair option.

#3 AgonKipling

AgonKipling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

The PST file is a centralized database which is highly sensitive. Apart from internal error of Outlook data files, some other factor can push your Outlook PST file in the dark zone like:

1. Virus attacks on PST file on the local system 
2. Siting issues with Windows Firewall 
3. Windows File bug/unknown error 
4. Heavy Size of Outlook PST file 

As, you mentioned that the user had migrated PST file from a network folder to the local machine. It may be possible that heavy size of PST file is responsible for bad behavior.

For better performance, experts are suggesting that we should keep a PST file in smaller form. I found a useful reference which is related to discussion on splitting mechanism , mentioned below:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users