Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi down speed drops y 90% while PC is turned on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SternVonAfrika

SternVonAfrika

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

Hi, I've noticed a problem that when my PC is on the download speed on Wi-Fi drops by about 90% however the up speed stays almost the same. And in games i see occasional stutter that wasn't there before. As soon as i turn the PC off the speed comes back to normal. Also getting a "closing background programs" screen when turning off PC with a blank list of applications that need to be closed. I have looked at the processes and found that there are double identical processes running which are conhost.exe (one SYSTEM and the other one NETWORK SERVICE) and csrss.exe (both SYSTEM). I googled it and found many topics on different forums saying that its a virus. Ran malwarebytes scan and ESET scan both in normal and safe mode and they revealed nothing. I am running windows 7 and using malwarebytes and ESET Nod 32. also installed CCleaner as one of the websites recommended while dealing with viruses.

Note: I don't have any P2P programs running or anything that could use up my bandwidth.

Edited by SternVonAfrika, 07 June 2015 - 06:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SternVonAfrika

SternVonAfrika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

ok, so i unplugged network cable from my pc and disabled wi-fi card and took out antennas just in case and its STILL affecting my internet speed when its on. i have no idea whats going on here. i dont even know how to google this. never thought this could be possible. if anyone knows anything about this please help. is my PC possessed by a tech demon? it got to a point that i cant use my teamspeak on other devices while the pc is on because my ping jumps from 8ms to 1800ms. 

i have my doubts about it being a virus or something but if anyone can point me to the right direction where i can get help i would be very grateful

Edited by SternVonAfrika, 07 June 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#3 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

So, let's see if I understand you...

You have one PC that is connected over Wi-Fi on what? Router? 

When it is connected over Wi-Fi, download speed is 90% slower then when? When you connect PC over network cable?

As soon as i turn the PC off the speed comes back to normal.

Where comes to normal?

Edited by severac, 07 June 2015 - 11:46 AM.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#4 SternVonAfrika

SternVonAfrika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

im using a PC, macbook, and iphone. PC is (was) connected thorugh a cable from the router and other devices are connected via wi-fi. when PC is on the speed everywhere drops. if its off then speed and ping are normal. i have disconnected the PC from network and wi-fi and its still affecting the speed while its on. 

Edited by SternVonAfrika, 07 June 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#5 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

Well, I don't know what to say to you. You should check if something is using your PC connection without your knowladge. And if it is possible, maybe you could try to limit bandwidth that your PC can use, in that way allowing other devices to use more speed. 

#6 SternVonAfrika

SternVonAfrika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

well in task manager and in AVG Tune Up is says that nothing is using the connection. plus the PC is physically disconnected form the network. maybe there is some king of a power surge thats causing this. ill try yo take look at the wiring. 

#7 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

So, you turn off PC, and speed on other devices is lower than it should be?

#8 SternVonAfrika

SternVonAfrika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

So, you turn off PC, and speed on other devices is lower than it should be?

no, i turn PC on and speed is lower. as soon as i turn it off the speed is back to normal. tried it several times and the result is always the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users