Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

* * * * * 6 votes

Sophos Antivirus For Linux

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 awwtiz_em

awwtiz_em

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

It's not too important, but like did anyone correct his statement:

- Disable automatic updates from Sophos:

sudo /opt/sophos-av/bin/savsetup

enter "1" and press "enter"
enter "3" and press "enter"

http://localhost

full stop

press "enter"
type "N" and press "enter"
type "q" and press "enter"
(Unlike during the installation process, where you could choose to update from Sophos, your own update server, or
no server, no server is not listed as an option. You can however choose localhost, which will result in no updates
being downloaded unless your computer is already an update server.)

where "full stop" should be "." and you know he literally typed that in since it instructs you to press enter (which is when you type the password for the user) then "N," instead of Sophos skipping the authentication password section entirely.

So fun fact for any Americans who are ignorant about brit punctuation, and also for some reason went to the end of this forum!
We Americans say "period" and everyone else uses "full stop" for some reason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#62 laxert

laxert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Free version - is it possible to display the GUI?

I don't get it, but the section in the tutorial (first post) about enabling the GUI doesn't make sense to me - even though I did what it suggests -

- Configure GUI:

sudo /opt/sophos-av/bin/savsetup

enter "2" and press "enter".
enter "Y" and press "enter".
press "enter".
press "enter".
choose a password and press "enter".

(Actually, after I press '2' and enter, the prompt is about a username, and there's already some default which I guess Sophos assigned somehow, not sure if pressing 'Y' at this point is advisable as it would seem to me that would be replacing the username with just 'Y'? Anyway, I don't see how this configures any GUI as it just brings up, via terminal, a text screen of 'Welcome to Sophos Anti-Virus interactive configuration'....)

I have had SAV installed for a while, and am finding that it interferes with a few things: all WINE (Windows) programs start up so so so slowly as to be almost unusable. Confirm it is due to SAV as if I disable on-access scanning, the Windows apps under Wine appear almost instantly. Also, when I make a backup using mksquashfs, it becomes unreasonably slow if SAV is active - so slow that it would take hours if not days to back up 30gb of files....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users