I have seen a lot about this issue and I have tried many things.
The difference with mine is that the message (windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings) comes up and then 10, 20, 30 seconds or minutes later the browser comes up (IE or Chrome) and I can surf. I have tried the following
2) ipconfig /reset and renew
3) netsh winsock commands ( 3 kinds)
4) Installed chrome so I could determine it wasn't just IE
5) Called Lenovo who said Malwarebytes was the cause (it wasn't)
6) Lenovo deleted all temp files, %%temp%%, reset IE, ran the following commands ( I might be missing some nomenclature) cleanmgr, inet.cpl, and something like nepa.???
7) Talked with building management and they assured me their network is stable and AP's are working well. I do have a strong signal
8) The computer only does this at the apartment, it's fine elsewhere.
Ideas? I could use some. There's got to be something in the configuration at my building. Hmmmmmmmmm