Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer or HP? Intel or AMD? Help please? :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 targaryenn21

targaryenn21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

6300d1433638303-acer-hp-intel-amd-help-p

6301d1433638316-acer-hp-intel-amd-help-p
This one is HP which has beats audio and is also touchscreen. It cost me $450. 

6304d1433638493-acer-hp-intel-amd-help-p

6305d1433638507-acer-hp-intel-amd-help-p

This one is the Acer and its $350. I really need to know which one is better so I can return the hp if the acer's better. I'll use it for school, a little bit of editing with photoshop and illiustrator, and some games like DOTA 2 AND LOL. I also multi-task so theres a lot of tab opened sometimes. Thankss!

Edited by targaryenn21, 06 June 2015 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hi targaryenn21 :)

At first one, the HP laptop is better than the Acer one. If you have both in your hands, is it possible to give a Speccy snapshot of each? It'll make the evaluation easier.

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Blues4est

Blues4est

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Never heard of Speccy but at 1st glance the HP chip is only 2.16 (2.4 turbo?) and DOTA2 min is 2.8, that's min. In a pc you could crank up the pentium. The ram and video look up to the task, I'd say keep the HP. I think the A6's video will beat that of the Acer.

My 2c,

Blues

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC. Need to find out what's inside your computer? No problem! Speccy will give you all the information you need.

Overview
What's in your computer? If you're like most of us, you can probably name the processor (Intel or AMD, Celeron or Pentium), maybe how much RAM it has, and maybe how big the hard drive is.
When you go to a computer store and see all the bright shiny PCs laid out next to each other, most will have tags or stickers indicating the:
Processor brand and model
Hard drive size and speed
Amount of memory (RAM)
Graphics card
Operating system
Two or three years later, when it comes time to upgrade your computer, that tag or sticker may be long gone. Speccy was designed as a free electronic "what's inside" sticker for your PC.
Isn't this information in Windows?
Yes and no. Some of the basic information can be found by right-clicking My Computer and then clicking Properties. The General tab lists some statistics, and the Device Manager on the Hardware tab lists all of the hardware you've got installed. But it misses out lots of information that you need.
Speccy will give you detailed statistics on every piece of hardware in your computer. Including CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Cards, Hard Disks, Optical Drives, Audio support. Additionally Speccy adds the temperatures of your different components, so you can easily see if there's a problem!
Why do I need Speccy?
At first glance, Speccy may seem like an application for system administrators and power users. It certainly is, but Speccy can also help normal users, in everyday computing life.
If you need to add more memory to your system, for example, you can check how many memory slots your computer has and what memory's already installed. Then you can go out and buy the right type of memory to add on or replace what you've already got.
If you're going to be selling your PC, you can use Speccy to quickly list out the components. Or, if you're buying a PC, you can use Speccy to check that the computer has what the label says it has.
Also, Speccy comes in handy for support. If you're on the phone with technical support and they want to know what video card you have installed, there's no need to hunt around Windows. Speccy has all the information on one easy-to-understand screen.

Source: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Basically Speccy gives you all the information about your hardware.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

Both HP and Acer are decent brands, but vary quite a bit in quality depending on the specific model.

As to which processor you go with, AMD is a good choice and probably more bang for your buck if you're looking for a very low budget machine.  However if you're looking for performance look for an i series Intel such as i3, i5, i7 (higher is better).  I'd avoid anything called Pentium these days.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:28 PM

Go w/ Intel over AMD & I am not a big fan of HP, @ all.  If can afford it go i5 but, i3 may be fine for you.  From what you have said, doubt you need an i7 which is about $100 more than an i5.

Give an x64 machine a minimum of 4GB RAM.

Lastly, I always recommend putting the OS on a SSD & data on a HDD.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 12 June 2015 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users