Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where are the users located in winserver 2003 and 2008? (NO AD)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hey everyone. So I am helping out a local office here in town and they have 2 separate servers. One is running 2008 and the other is 2003. I am still not quite sure why they are running two separate versions yet but I am slowly finding out over time.

So the majority of the users log on to the domain. The domain is called DNSParts. There is a few separate accounts that each users logs into; there's kyle, dnparts1, dnparts2, and david. Now when I go into the DNSParts server I noticed that AD was not installed. So I went into computer managment and went into the Groups and Local users (i think that was what it was called) and none of the users mentioned before are there. There is like "sys2kemail, administrator," and other admin type accounts. I am not there at the moment so I can't remember precisely (should have taken notes) but I am pretty confused about this. If you go into computer management > shared folders > sessions then there is a tab called "users" and you can see all the users I am looking for but you can't modify anything. You can only end the session. 

Can anyone help me out with this? I am trying to give each user permission to take ownership of the hosts file so I can modify the hosts file and block websites.

**EDIT, I am not sure if AD is not installed or if for some odd reason it is hidden***

Edited by jerrymck, 06 June 2015 - 09:58 PM.

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

If Active Directory were installed on any of the servers, it would be fairly obvious. Open up Server Manager and see what roles are installed. And if you go to the Start menus and click on it, are any of the AD snapins like Users and Computers installed?

Also, if there forest functional level is set to 2003, they can have a mixture of 2003 and 2008 servers running in it.

#3 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

I looked under roles and i cannot find AD....

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

If AD isn't installed on either server, they may be using something else to manage their user accounts. Or Active Directory is installed on a server you're not aware of. You may want to ask them what they are using for user account management.

#5 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

I did ask them and they had an i.t. before who came, jacked everything up, and left.
What else could be used to manage user accounts? Is there an alternate mmc snap in???

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

They might be using something else like a Samba server. If there is no mmc snap-in for AD Users and Computers available, then they aren't using AD.

#7 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Is there a way to find it that you know of?

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

First, check to see if it's set up as a domain. Go to one of the work station and click on the network icon in the toolbar. If it's a domain, it will state the name of the domain. Or hold down the Windows and the Pause|Break keys simultaneously -- the system info page will tell if it's a domain, a workgroup, or something else. If it's a domain, ask where the domain controller is located or at least what the fully qualified domain name is.

#9 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

It is on a domain. Some users only are on a work group but there are about 6 total users who log onto the domain that is called dnsparts and ao i log onto the dnsparts server and cannot locate the users. There isn't an active directory, but if i go to sessions i see all the users logged on, i just can't modify anything from that menu i can only end the session or send them a message

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Then they must be using something other than AD.

#11 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

I see, i wish there was a known way to figure it out. I've already asked them everything they know.

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

So in command promopt usign the variable %userdomain% produces what?

Also what does the command below do?

wmic useraccount get name | sort

There could be a GPO to set (Create) local users on each computer!?

#13 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

I FINALLY found the users. This office has 2 physical servers and 3 VIRTUAL MACHINE SERVERS!

They use a software called VMware VSPHERE that I am not at all familiar with. I finally found the users I needed to find though. Now, I need to figure out WHY they have 3 virtual servers running. They use some picky software that only runs with certain versions of server and also all of their servers are file servers and print servers. I am just confused as to why they would set the Active Directory on the VM rather than the Host Server....

meh, glad I figured it out though.

Thanks everyone for your help.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

It's a little unusual that they would put all their DCs on virtual machines, but not unheard of. Saves on expensive hardware.

You open up Vsphere, find the DC you want to connect to, and launch the console. From there, it's not much different from using remote desktop.

#15 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

We have all our servers virtualized, its a cheaper way as you say and i have yet to read a issue with running domain controllers over VM's.

I know they adivse against it but i thoguht that was just marketing crap sopewing our from MS and manufacturers to encourage people to buy every 3-5 year cycles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users