Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram? PSU? CPU? Who is the crash culprit?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Howdy all,

Specs First:
MOBO: MSI P67A Military Class II
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad Core
GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 460 in Sli
RAM: 2x 4GB Gskill 1600
PSU: Corsair TX850w

The Problem:
My computer has recently started suffering crashes. It seemed to be a power cut to me at first but now I am not so sure.

The computer just clicks off, black monitor, no power to the tower. It does not reset itself, but I can instantly power it back on if I hit the power button.  Unfortunately this also means no Crash Dump or Error Log, since the computer is just losing power in an instant.

I am running dual gpu's in sli so first I tried disabling one of them, then the other, then doing a clean install of new drivers in safe mode. The problem continues.

I ran combofix and malwarebites and did a scan just in case it was a virus (I doubted it was) but the system came back clean.

Next I tried running memtestx86 from a usb. The computer crashes within the first 10% of the test.

I have 2x 4GB DDR3 in my tower. Called Ram#1 and Ram#2 from here.

I removed Ram#2. Only Ram#1 in the tower. Ran Memtest again.

Failed within 10%. Black Screen No Power.

I removed Ram#1. Only Ram#2 in the tower. Ran Memtest again.

Failed within 10%. Black Screen No Power.

I had assumed initially that one of my 2 ram sticks was bad due to the memtest failure... but now I am not sure about that either. It seems strange that both of them would be failing independently at the same point..

I tried using a different power outlet (even though the computer has been in this location with no problems for ~6 months) and it still crashed running memtest.

In between the removal and retesting the computer made me select F1 or F2 for setup or load defaults. I chose F1 and verified the memory was listed, then just exited in between. Do I need to reset my CMOS between tests or anything?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am kind of stumped.

Edited by Chameleon Jim, 06 June 2015 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

Hello if you are suffering from BSOD issues, I'd suggest you open a new topic by following the instructions at this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

We have a trained BSOD staff that frequents that Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum and will have a better understanding as to why your getting those BSODs.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

It is not a BSOD. The computer just turns off. Would that still be considered under the umbrella?

Edited by Chameleon Jim, 06 June 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:34 AM

Okay you have windows 7 therefore if your system is just shutting down before a dump file is created you can boot into safe mode by pressing F8.

Once you are in safe mode, you can choose the option, disable automatic shutdown on system failure. The next time your system fails, it will display a blue screen and should log the error.

If it does not, you may have the option to create a dump file disabled. Follow the instructions at this link below for Windows 7:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Excellent. I will do this now. Thank you.

EDIT: Alright, everything is configured. I indeed did have auto-shutdown and no crash reporting.

It is now configured not to reset and complete memory dump. Now just have to wait for the next crash. Sometimes it is hours, sometimes it is minutes.

Will post again after it happens.

Edited by Chameleon Jim, 07 June 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

Louis, See below:

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UfVdjwK7TPXlWoP0A8AtX0B

Minitoolbox Log:

Spoiler

Edited by Chameleon Jim, 07 June 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#8 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Bought and installed a new PSU. Still turning off randomly.

Running Prime95 Small FFts causes a crash in seconds. I am assuming it is my CPU or MOBO that is dying.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

Okay here is what I'd try first.

Go back into your BIOS and look for Load Fail Safe Defaults. Save and exit and see how well the system runs now.

I have to ask if you have inspected your computer system for any dust built up in the cooling fans or cooling fins?

Please carefully inspect every area of your PC for such issues, include the PSU in your inspection, however do not open it, just try a visual inspection. Check the video card, CPU for any signs of dust. Sometimes, dust that causes system issues is hard to see with a quick inspection, so try looking very closely in tight areas.

Bruce.

#10 Chameleon Jim

Chameleon Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

My BIOS does not have the option for fail safe defaults, only Load Optimized Defaults. That leads me to assume I am currently running on the fail safe defaults.

Yes, the inside of my computer is pristine. I generally clean it once a month. Today when I installed my new PSU I also removed both gpus and the ram,  cleaned the contacts on both the components and the board,  cleaned the board itself and verified that the Cooler on my CPU was free of dust as well.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

Okay, has your system shut down to produce a blue screen since you enabled it?

I take it your system runs okay in safe mode?

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users