Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jo3l

jo3l

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:24 AM

Hi, im trying to help my friend fix her computer. I havent had much luck at all with it so i hope someone can help. Here's what i've gotten so far ...

She runs AOL and has never had a problem with it on the computer they have now. When she tries to connect to AOL, which has worked since they got it almost a year ago, she gets an error message saying that the Communication Port is invalid or busy. So from they i went to the support center on the computer and followed some directions. It told me to go to the Device Manager, click modem, then properties. It says that the device is working properly. I click diagnostics and then Query Modem and i get an error that says that the port the moden is attached to cannot open.

That is about as far as i got before i realized i was in over my head. Lol. Hopefully someone can figure this out! if you need a hijackthis log or anything else let me know and i'll work on it! Thanks!

Edited by jo3l, 07 July 2006 - 12:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

Have you had a thunder storm lately? It sound like a bad modem. Delete the modem from the Device Manger and allow XP to reinstall at reboot.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

acklan, The internet connection is thru AOL and AOL uses it's own modem drivers and is completely not dependent on the system. If AOL can not connect it is either an AOL problem with its driver or a bad modem, If it is AOL problem the member really would be better off calling AOL tech support.

The device properties says the device is working properly and also the query states it is in use. AOL problem with their software. Probably un-install and re-install OK. But best suggestion call AOL tech support.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:20 AM

You got me. Haven't work on American Off Line in a very long time.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

I worked on a computer with AOL and it busted my buns all over the place and then went to AOL tech support and fixed. Thay are not much good but this time they were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users