Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have an intel 2100 lga 1155 600 watt power supply 8gb DDR3 RAM and a new R9 270 X video card.
I want to upgrade should I buy a lga 1155 i5 cpu or should I buy a new MOBO and CPU? I have been looking at lga 1150 i5s and i7s but they are expensive I have also been looking at 8 core AMDs because they are cheap. 
Which will be better? Will the AMD be as good as the Intels?
My concerns are for gaming. I am also considering Crossfire in the future.

Thanks for any advice I want to spend between $200 and $400 for a motherboard and CPU combo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

I am not qualified to offer advice on your thoughts on upgrading but there is one point you need to consider.

Assuming you are running Windows in one version or another if you have an OEM version installed and you decide to go down the new CPU and mobo route you will also need another copy of Windows since MS regard a new mobo as a new computer. Of course, if you have a retail version, this problem will not arise.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users