Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

I have a 10 year old Gateway laptop that I am considering replacing. I only use it for e-mail and web browsing. I have always bought name familiar brands before (Dell, Gateway, Apple) and have shied away from brands like Asus, etc. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $500 as I don't use it to much. Also should I wait for Windows 10? I have heard some really bash 8 and 8.1. Or should I consider a different OS? Don't think I can afford a MacBook.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Asus parts are actually inside of the name brand machines.  I've been building with Asus parts since the 90s.  It is just recently that they have gotten into the system game.

If all you do is e-mail and web browsing a tablet might be a better option for you.

#3 Joann37

Joann37

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:29 PM

hello

just browsing here and wondered which laptop you decided to buy and if you are

happy with it.

My daughter gifted me with a new dell inspiron 15 last year and it has windows 8

which I upgraded to 8.1.   I really do not like the new windows 8 with its pictures and

tiles for things I would never use. I'm trying to make it look like a "real" computer.

I just wondered if you got windows 8 and if you are happy with it or if you figured

out a way to change it, and if so, what did you do to it?

thank you

Joann

#4 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Kilroy,
I've got an IPad but I have found that I need a USB port to hook up to some thinks, like an IPod to download music. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet. I have to use a Windows OS to load music onto my IOS. Also my wireless printer sometimes does' connect all the time and so I just hook up to it with my USB cable. Also loading pics from my digital camera I need something with a slot for the card that I take out of the camera. Haven't found a way to do any of that on my tablet.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

@Joann37 How to make windows 8 work/look like windows xp/7

@Dan -According to notebook check's best budget laptops you cannot get any 'cheaper' than Acer's line without going used.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 08 June 2015 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users