Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malwarebytes [trial expired] now what

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

morning all. i guess i will need another virus protection ,i removed malwarebytes and down loaded it again but it looks like it will expire again in 2 weeks. a while back it was recommended that a free protection was all i needed .this is for a dell inspiron 1000 lap top using google chrome. the computer is used mainly for 2 forums i chat on,e mail and checking the news. no games and i do not do any banking although i may [rarely] purchase something from this laptop. i have mcafee that comes with my optonline and adware [recommended here]. i used to have iolo but i got rid of that bundled slomo rip off. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

I use AVG free it is a great anti virus

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Hi vacuum tube :)

May I ask how many Antivirus you have installed on your system? You aren't supposed to have more than one Antivirus program installed at a time on a computer. Having more than one can cause system conflict and instability. So you should keep only one and uninstall the others. I suggest you to read quietman's post below, and pay a special attention to the "IMPORTANT NOTE" at the end of it:

Choosing an Anti-Virus program

As for Malwarebytes, the free version is still an execellent Antimalware (because it's not an Antivirus) and you can use it as an on-demand scanner and second opinion scanner. I suggest you to do so. You might also want to read quietman's other article below.

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

So right now, you should focus on keeping only one Antivirus installed, and keep Malwarebytes installed as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

thank you i will look into that. i should add my putor is windows xp

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

If you are still running Windows XP, then a free Antivirus won't cut it. You are running an outdated and vulnerable OS, and free Antivirus solutions aren't equipped to protect that kind of OS. If you want real, decent protection on it, you'll have to pay for an Antivirus product that is worth it.

My personal recommendations are ESET and Emsisoft for Windows XP, since Kaspersky might be tad too much assuming you have standard specs for it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:19 PM

Malwarebyes continues to work just fine ignore the warnings, it is a ploy to get you move to Pro.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

it is a ploy to get you move to Pro.

It's not a "ploy", it's just stating that real-time protection isn't enabled and that if you want that feature, you need to move to the Premium version, simple as that.

unite_blue.png

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is a very effective solution in stopping malware from infecting your computer in the first place. There is no "ploy" involved here OldPhil... MBAM Premium is worth the money spent to get it.

After all prevention is better than cure, and this is especially true with malware.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

...i removed malwarebytes and down loaded it again but it looks like it will expire again in 2 weeks. a while back it was recommended that a free protection was all i needed .

When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked AND Malwarebytes will notify you with a "Trial Expired" message. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and taking advantage of the Protection Module in the full version.
See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hi vacuum tube :)

May I ask how many Antivirus you have installed on your system? You aren't supposed to have more than one Antivirus program installed at a time on a computer. Having more than one can cause system conflict and instability. So you should keep only one and uninstall the others. I suggest you to read quietman's post below, and pay a special attention to the "IMPORTANT NOTE" at the end of it:

Choosing an Anti-Virus program

As for Malwarebytes, the free version is still an execellent Antimalware (because it's not an Antivirus) and you can use it as an on-demand scanner and second opinion scanner. I suggest you to do so. You might also want to read quietman's other article below.

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

So right now, you should focus on keeping only one Antivirus installed, and keep Malwarebytes installed as well.

mcafee [which came with optonline] says i do not have virus protection. windows security center says i have no virus protection. is it possible i do not have any protection ?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

If none of them are active, it's possible, yes. Follow the instructions below please.

P32ZMcU.pngSecurityCheck
  • Download SecurityCheck and move the executable to your Desktop;
  • Execute SecurityCheck, press on a key and let the scan run;
    KQuxDxN.png
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

mcafee [which came with optonline] says i do not have virus protection. windows security center says i have no virus protection. is it possible i do not have any protection ?

I'm not sure what you mean by optonline.

Did McAfee come preinstalled as a trial? If so and it has expired, then yes it is possible you have no protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

It's actually Optimum, which is the branded name for the services provided by Cablevision.

Cablevision provides a branded McAfee free to customers.

#14 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is a very effective solution in stopping malware from infecting your computer in the first place. There is no "ploy" involved here OldPhil... MBAM Premium is worth the money spent to get it.

After all prevention is better than cure, and this is especially true with malware.

malware and virus are 2 totally different things that need different solutions ?

#15 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

It's actually Optimum, which is the branded name for the services provided by Cablevision.

Cablevision provides a branded McAfee free to customers.

thank you i was just getting ready to explain that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users