Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling All Startup Programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

I was interested in knowing if it's dangerous or I'll come across any problems if I disable ALL programs in the msconfig's startup list.

After reading the topic with the person (I don't remember the name) was wondering if his startup time was fast, I realized that my startup time is RIDICULOUSLY slow, and the only things I have starting up when I boot is Skype, MSN Messenger (Live Beta), Gmail Notifier and WhatPulse.

But I've gona through the list and I realized that almost all of these programs are related to it.

Would it be safe for me (I mean, would my computer encounter any problems or not) if I were to disable ALL of the programs in msconfig?

Thanks,
-nyiddle.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

Some of the programs are absolutely necessary for Windows to function; disabling ALL of them would make your computer useless. Before disabling any of the items, it would be a good idea to check them against the BC Startup List, which will tell you if these are needed by the operating system, useless, or optional.
I would also NOT use MSCONFIG which is meant as a diagnostic tool, but use something like Spybot's Startup Tool (if you have Spybot S&D installed, change the Mode to "Advanced" to bring up the tools panel) which also provides some guidance as well as more information about the item than MSCONFIG.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users