Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If Someone Asked You...

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

If someone held a gun to your head and asked if you believed in God, would you lie to spare your life? or would you say yes and let him shoot you, and go meet God.

What would you do...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:08 PM

I would say Yes immediately. If I said no than I don't believe in God or my faith.

Kind of like in my Dojo with certain weapon removal techniques. If you don't have the faith do some of them blindly(and some are actually blindly) you will fail .. And yes I would try the technique.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

I would say no.... simply because it was telling the truth. If he was going to shoot me for saying NO, then i'd say yes to spare my life. I just don't take religion seriously, so if saying i believed in a god would save my life, i'd say it. How is that any different from lip-service :thumbsup:

Another thing: Would saying yes, even if you clearly knew it would end your life, count as suicide?

Another thing: Would saying that you don't believe in god, while still knowing in your heart that you're pure christian and still believing in him really affect your faith? Is it that fragile that you can't say a simple "i don't believe in god" to save your life? Wouldn't god know that you were doing it simply to enjoy the rest of your days, or would he expect you to become a martyr?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 08 July 2006 - 01:23 AM.

#4 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

I would say yes. Even if it meant that I would be killed.

Another thing: Would saying yes, even if you clearly knew it would end your life, count as suicide?

It is not suicide if you are not the one pulling the triger. It does mean that the gunman murders you.

Another thing: Would saying that you don't believe in god, while still knowing in your heart that you're pure christian and still believing in him really affect your faith? Is it that fragile that you can't say a simple "i don't believe in god" to save your life? Wouldn't god know that you were doing it simply to enjoy the rest of your days, or would he expect you to become a martyr?

Jesus stated clearly in the four Gospels that if we denigh him then he would denigh us before the Father. In other words if we denigh him in public (ie in front of other people eve if it is just one person with a gun) we never truly believed in him to begin with, IMHO.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#5 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:06 AM

i would probably say no, even though i do. i don't consider it denying God; i consider it trying to not get blasted through my brain. who wants that to happen? but then again, i'd probably be to scared to speak anyway, what with a gun against my head and all. . .

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

I would ask the gunman or gunwoman,"Which God?".
Then we could go through a long list until I got shot or set free.
Once a dialog was started,the person & I would interact.
Once interaction begins,pulling the trigger may become more difficult.
Or easier... :thumbsup:

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

Lol, would a filibuster really work if your life is on the line?

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

I believe in 'survival of the fittest'..... if that meant lying to save my life..... then so be it.
To me... religion wouldn't come into it, my life is precious and i'd keep it.

BBPP6nz.png

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

Yes I would say yes.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:07 PM

That was basically the question asked to the Cassie Bernall (17) in the library at Columbine High School.

Cassie was in the library with several students when two student gunmen turned it into a shooting gallery on April 20. One of them approached Cassie, asking her if she believed in God. He shot her when she answered yes. She died instantly.

She stood up, in spite of the fear, and proudly proclaimed she believed in God.

I would too.

rigel

PS

Peter denied Christ 3 times - "Before the cock crowed" to save his life. I think God knows what is in the heart, and a moment of fear cannot change that.

Edited by rigel, 08 July 2006 - 11:12 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#11 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

I think I would not lie. Like I don't beleive in God, I would say no.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#12 Evan198

Evan198

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

I would say yes, because I do, and it would be going against my faith, if I said no.
Posted Image

#13 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

I would ask the gunman or gunwoman,"Which God?".

Good answer...

I would calmly turn and say, "could you please be more specific?"

:thumbsup:

Edited by locally pwned, 14 August 2006 - 09:53 AM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#14 Lonster

Lonster

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

I'd answer:
That depends on what the definition of 'definition' is.
:thumbsup:

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:31 AM

While I admire the great and deep faith of so many that would answer 'yes' to this question, I hope so much that if the gun was being held against one of your children's heads and their life or death would be dependent on your answer ... surely your God would understand if one said 'no' so a precious child could live on?

And if you were with your child when this gun was held to your head, again, surely your God would understand if you said 'no' to spare a precious child the sight and ongoing horror of seeing your brains blown all over the sidewalk in front of him or her?

A compassionate and all-understanding God would know that you weren't 'denying Him'in your heart, rather you were saving a child's life, right?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users