Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple problems... first is clicking noise on MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdesunshine

jdesunshine

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

I have a 17" MacBook Pro 10.6.8 with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with a WD 250 GB hard drive.  I have Win 7 installed in VirtualBox on this machine with a 120 GB HDD.

There's an intermittent clicking noise that appears to come from the front left corner where the HDD is located.  I need to order a replacement but not sure what to do once I get the new HDD... how to clone the drive, etc.  I have very basic knowledge of working on MAC hardware, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Once this issue is resolved, I also have problems accessing files on my Windows 7 computer on my network (which is also giving me a hard drive error - maybe I should be starting with this?), the Win 7 virtual machine on my MacBook as well as file permissions that I haven't been able to solve.  Let me know if there's any other information that is needed. Hopefully, someone can help me get rid of these frustrations.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

Clicking noises from hard dives are not good !  They are usually signs of imminent demise.

As a matter of some urgency you should back up all your data to external storage. Your operating systems and applications are of less urgency as they can always be re-installed.

It is not quite clear from your post whether or not you have two hard drives on this computer, or whether the VM Win 7 is running in is on a 120GB partition on the single hard drive. Perhaps you could clear up this point.

I have personally little knowledge of Macs, but hard drives are hard drives - backup your data ASAP, then you can worry about fixing the problems.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jdesunshine

jdesunshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

I only have one hard drive and the VM is running on a partition. Most of the data is backed up, so I need to go through to see if I've missed anything that should be backed up ASAP.  Thank you for your reply.  I'll let you know when everything's backed up.  Any suggestions after that?

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

due to noises of your hard drive is my recommendation backup all your data and change your hdd as soon as possible. 

You can try to repair your hdd with the disk utility but I think that this problem can only solved with a new drive. 

For a complete backup you can use Time Machine or a third party tool like Carbon Copy Cloner.

You can also copy your snapshot of your virtual machine to an external drive so you don't need to configure it if you get a new system installation

As you say you have basic knowledge I suggest you to go to the next Apple Shop or use the Genius Bar. Your data will backed up and your hdd will change so you get a new installation with good support.

Store your data for the virtual Machine on an external drive and not on your system drive. Virtual machine and System that working together on the same drive can arise many problems. 

#5 jdesunshine

jdesunshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

I feel like this is one of those duh questions, but I'm going to ask anyway...  there hasn't been any clicking for the past 2 weeks and I've left it on almost 24/7. Is there a way to test the drive before I go through all the effort of replacing?  I do want to upgrade to a larger size anyway, but with money restraints, I was hoping to wait if possible.

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:13 PM

The simplest way use disc utility for testing. There are many other tools to Test (Google Search). Try disk warrior for example is another choice.

Also, you can use the Apple Hardware Test to check the health of the drive.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

As both Dante and I have said above, so long as your own data is backed up the pressure is off.

You can run the HD until it dies completely, if it does, or you can carry out the tests Dante suggests and find out its state of health.

Always, the important stuff is your own data - work, photos, music, and so on. If this is NOT backed up and a HD ups and dies it is lost. Perhaps not irrecoverably but recovery will be expensive and uncertain. Four or five years ago a friend of mine had this problem, with all her family photos on the dead drive. It cost her £UK 400+ to get the data recovered. You can buy a lot of backup for that sort of money !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users